Still not laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dowgirl71, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    I have 3 Barred Rock hens and of them hasn't started laying yet. My other 2 started in November and faithfully give me an egg a day. The one who hasn't started laying, received an injury to her comb/head, a couple months ago. She cut her comb on the fence while trying to reach through for some green grass. I was wondering if something like that would set her back. The area has completely healed, but her comb is not the healthy red, like the combs of the other two.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I dont think the injury have anything to do with laying. theres are lots of other reasons for not laying, change of food, weather, moved them around etc. we have freezing weather right now (arizona) and they dont feel like laying eggs for me !

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How do you know she's not laying? Do you have a recent pic of her?

4. dowgirl71

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    I will try to get a new pic of her, tomorrow. I'm pretty positive she's not laying because the eggs from the other two have grown to normal size. So, I keep waiting to see a little egg appear in the laying boxes from her. We've also been keeping a light on in the coop, until about 8:30pm. She is spending more time inside the coop, which my other two did before they started, but she doesn't do the "squat" when I get too close. She just runs off. Both of the other two squat. As far as her spending more time inside, I just figured it was her personality-she's an "inside chicken." I did read somewhere that someone had a chicken that didn't start laying until 40 weeks and my chickens are about 34 wks, right now. So, I wait...

5. beevolleyball3

beevolleyball3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Back roads of Wisconsin
    I live in WI and my hens dont lay eggs in the winter because they need a certain amount of light to produce an egg and the day are shorter(at least here in wisconsin) i dont think the injuries have anything to do with that

6. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have different breads, 12 hens, 4 lay, 5 pullets.
    1 was supposed to be 7 months old pullet when I got her about 6 months ago, no egg, no signs, yesterday she walked by me and is still peeping like a chick. I expect I will never get anything from her.
    4 I rescued and were in bad shape, feathers raged and dull, combs faded, I hope they will soon start laying, they look good now and have started doing more than sleeping in the shade all day, but they are also old. (I thought 3 were black, turns out 1 has white spots)
    1 I got with 4 pullets, the pullets are about to start laying (leathers found yesterday) but the hen, well this girl does not like anybody, not a roo or hen and prefers to be alone. Only one Roo I have had could catch her, and that was a chase! She is looking batter and acting better lately, feathers have more colorI think she may have adopted the one that is still peeping.
    I have no idea what the problem could be with certain ones here, but they have a dead line to start laying.
    I read it on BYC, "Eggs or legs girls its your choice"
    also an EE pullet about to start laying.

so you are not alone, does she get out and get plenty to eat?

7. dowgirl71

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    Yes, she does get plenty to eat and does go outside her house for short periods of time. Doesn't seem to be a big fan of the snow, even though I do shovel out their coop for them. She gets bullied away from some of the treats I bring them, but sometimes will just "get up the nerve" and come get her own. It's funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by