Stink bugs

Arthur

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Do chickens eat stink bugs ? and if they do, does it effect the taste of the eggs ? We have tons of them.

I was just wondering this myself! We're a week or so away from the onslaught if this year was anything like last year. We were overwhelmed (which may be understating it) by them last year. It was beyond gross. We didn't have the chickens last year so I can't add anything helpful. That said I am sure I will have lots of thoughts on the subject over the next 8 to 10 weeks. I may have to start a stink bug support group or something.
roll.png
Will you post back if you find out anything yourself?

They won't eat harlequin bugs. I tried. They watched them crawl away. I even disabled one and handed to a girl and she just gave me ....the stink eye.
I have eaten, or at least gotten a stink bug in my mouth...(eat black berries carefully), and it was horrendous...for a very very long time.

Yes Finn i will keep you posted. We have a major Stink bug problem here in southeastern Pa. and hope the chickens can help goodluck.

Don't bother, they won't eat them. At least MINE won't eat them. They are called stink bugs for a reason!

But crickets---LOVE crickets. Moths, mealworms, grubs, beetles, slugs (sticky when they bite it) YES, but NOT stink bugs. They ate them once and never again. Oh well.
Interesting enough, when they were little they were much more interested in earthworms, but not anymore.

Well mine wouldn't
sad.png

When we mowed down the squash in the garden it was COVERED
with the stink bugs.
I picked up my chickens...hauled their feathery butts way out to the garden..
and they looked and RAN away of course.
roll.png

I still love them crazy chickens even if they didn't help out with
my bug troubles
smile.png

I see my chickens catching and eating random stink bugs but I had to start a battle to keep 100s from wintering in my attic. Recent warm days they started gathering on my house looking for openings. I vacuumed them up in small 'dustbuster' type vacuum duct taped to a pole extension to reach high. (vacuum now designated stink bug only). I am catching 50 or more at a time on my cedar siding house whenever I can, I emptied vacuum into water with mild soapy suds on surface to kill them. Then called flock and poured bucket on driveway. Chickens ate every one. Hoping slight amount of mild soap doesn't bother chickens and maybe reduces some of the stink! I'll let you know later if the chickens keep eating them and if the eggs taste different,

Back
Top Bottom