Stink Bugs

tamemeg

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Southwestern PA
Is it OK to feed all the stink bugs
roll.png
that I catch daily in my house, to my chickens??

Last edited:
If your chickens will eat them, then they're probably ok.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stink bugs," though. Are they really the square-shouldered-looking stink bugs? I never found any in my house--only on my veggies.

My chickens won't touch real stink bugs--nor will the wild birds around my house.

well, i tossed 2 into them, one got away, but they attacked the other, the winner gobbled it up. These stink bugs look like they have armor on, last year everyone became infested with them in my area, and they are very hard to get rid of. thanks for the responses

In case you wanted to know. Stink bugs hate the smell of Garlic. So any openings like roof vents or cracks around windows or foundations they can use to get in rubbed down with garlic oil will repel them.

Quote:
Hey I am in Maryland, and the stink bugs are in epidemic proportions. For those of you who do not have them, sorry but they are moving, hitching rides, and are showing up all over the US. Just a matter of time. They are the brown marmorated stink bug which accidentally found its way from Asia to PA about 10 years ago, and has been slowly but aggressively establishing itself. They are impossible to control as of yet, and they do stink. They are impacting fruit and veggie crops in this area, and the farmers are not happy. I am hoping that the chickens will take a liking to them, altho I would imagine if they ate enough to impact the swarming population, their eggs would taste NASTY! I understand that guinea hens will eat them, but they are simply too noisy for where I live (yet).

I currently have two stink bug vacumm cleaners - an upstairs and a downstairs - and have to vacuum daily for the masses. They are disgusting. USDA doing research on parastic wasp, but if approved, won't see them out there before 2013.

My house is infested with these nasty bugs. I appreciate that they do not bite, but they are such a pain! My 4 year old has major bug phobia, so it's been very hard on hers. We may have to have house chickens to try and de-stink bug the house!

Back
Top Bottom