Stink of chicken wee

RustiK

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Gunning, nsw
Hi guys and girls, bit of a weird one here. My Dutch bantam is acting a bit off and she stinks of chicken wee. No matter how many times I clean her she stinks. Bit of extra poo around the back but just stinks of wee. Think her rooster friend is turned off her too. She's not giving up too many eggs either. Any ideas? Thanks:)

Do you have any photos?

You mention that you clean her up -how are you cleaning her up?
Is her vent and the surrounding feathers getting soiled with poop, is there a discharge coming from the vent?
How old is she?
Any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
You mention that she is acting a "bit off" - what exactly does that mean - is she lethargic, not eating/drinking, isolating herself, etc.

Give her a good soaking and wash her up - look at the vent for any signs of discharge that would indicate Vent Gleet or infection. Feel the abdomen for any swelling.
Separating her to a cage in the coop/run for a day or may also help - this way you can get a good look at her poop and monitor how much she is eating/drinking.

This is just a guess, but since she smells of uric acid, she may possibly be dehydrated or suffering from a kidney problem. Dehydration in chickens causes more excretion of uric acid, the white substance in droppings. You could try getting her to drink more fluids by adding some water to her feed to make a very wet mash, made fresh each day.

Hopefully, someone with veterinary knowledge will chime in with suggestions.

Thanks for the reply guys, sorry for the pictures of chicken bums in advance.

Giving her a few warm water baths and soaking the area. She has slight clear discharge and yeah a lot of poo around vent despite how often I clean it. She is now maulting too. Her stomach feels fine and no extra fluid.

She is eating and drinking okay she's just a bit sheepish.Theres no mites or lice just dried poo.

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

You mention that you clean her up -how are you cleaning her up?
Is her vent and the surrounding feathers getting soiled with poop, is there a discharge coming from the vent?
How old is she?
Any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
You mention that she is acting a "bit off" - what exactly does that mean - is she lethargic, not eating/drinking, isolating herself, etc.

Give her a good soaking and wash her up - look at the vent for any signs of discharge that would indicate Vent Gleet or infection. Feel the abdomen for any swelling.
Separating her to a cage in the coop/run for a day or may also help - this way you can get a good look at her poop and monitor how much she is eating/drinking.[/QUOTE]

Molting can be hard on them, but I would be inclined to treat her for Vent Gleet.
There are different "views" or methods of treating a chicken for Vent Gleet. Sometimes a sour crop can exacerbate the problem, so check her crop function too. A lot of people have success by washing the vent daily and applying an anti-fungal cream, but you will want to access her diet to see if anything needs to be corrected while you treat her.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

Btw - thanks for the photos:)

Hi there! You have either a welsummer or a brown leghorn, or even an OEGB. I do not think she is a Dutch though. Dutch bantams may look similar but she has yellow legs and a Dutch bantam has grey. My Dutch is in the above photograph.
Your hen is beautiful though!

Mind blown.... always thought she was a bantam. She is only little but after looking at some brown leg horns I think you are definitely right. Is there any way to check for sure between the two you suggested? Thanks for the correction,

Back
Top Bottom