Stinky nervous ducklin

MississippiMandy

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
So I recently purchased some clearance ducks for $0.25 each at tsc. I am the proud owner of 9 khaki Campbell ducks. Well proud is a stretch. I live in Michigan and it’s still cold here. My brooder is in the basement of my house. I strip the box every day and clean the water 2 times a day. But boy do these things stink!!!! Any suggestions??? Please anything other than put them outside. its still freezing here at night.

I keep mine in my shower, when it gets dirty i wash everything down the drain (that would be everyday). I keep their water over the drain and they dont have bedding to get all wet but they do have some old rags for a nest under the heat lamp. A bathtub works also. My shower has a textured floor so its not slippery, and when they were younger i had more rags down until they could walk well without their feet sliding. I believe this is one of the best ways to brood ducks indoors, but there are some other clever ideas out there if you do a BYC forum search

Nope can't put outside that's for sure.

Congrats on the lil stinkers. They really can. Best you can do is keep the brooder as clean as possible what are you using for bedding? is it getting wet? you can place the waterer your using on something like a broiler pan to keep water more contained.

We have a pic of a good waterer for ducklings for less spill you'll need probably 2-3 depending on how many ducklings
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

I keep mine in my shower, when it gets dirty i wash everything down the drain (that would be everyday). I keep their water over the drain and they dont have bedding to get all wet but they do have some old rags for a nest under the heat lamp. A bathtub works also. My shower has a textured floor so its not slippery, and when they were younger i had more rags down until they could walk well without their feet sliding. I believe this is one of the best ways to brood ducks indoors, but there are some other clever ideas out there if you do a BYC forum search
Unfortunately we only have 1 bathroom.

Nope can't put outside that's for sure.

Congrats on the lil stinkers. They really can. Best you can do is keep the brooder as clean as possible what are you using for bedding? is it getting wet? you can place the waterer your using on something like a broiler pan to keep water more contained.

We have a pic of a good waterer for ducklings for less spill you'll need probably 2-3 depending on how many ducklings
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/
I am using a mix of pellets and shavings. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom