Stinky pen

debbiejac2003

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
I have 5 hens and 2 geese (male/female) who are in the outside one together all of the time (when they don’t free range). My question is how do I keep the smell down? It’s terrible and I’m assuming it’s the geese more than the chickens… I have tried pine flake shavings, pine mulch, pine nuggets, sand, soil and gravel. Nothing has worked! I just don’t want the horrible smell anymore. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

It is in a partial sunny location. We have had some rain, which doesn’t help, but soon there will be snow to deal with too!

Are you able to scratch up and remove the ground cover? I had a horrible mud/stink issue in the spring with a temporary grow out pen. I did put down pine flakes, and later raked them all up and removed them, then put down fresh ones.

I've also moved a small pen and hit the ground with a tiller. Got rid of the smell..

I have done the put down some, rake them up, put new down…. But I guess I’m looking for something that isn’t so much money!

How big is the pen?

Are there drainage issues at the site (when it rains, does it drain faster in the run or slower, or same as surrounding areas?)

When you had things like pine shavings or mulch in there, how deep was the litter? Have you ever tried a mix of materials?

Pics of area might help here.

Coarse wood chippings have worked well here.
Pine shavings will shingle and stick together.
'Mulch' might work well depending on size and shape.

If you have a place to store a large pile from a tree trimmer, that's the way to go.

full

Back
Top Bottom