Stooopid newbie poo question

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
OK, OK I Know this is a dumb question, but I am worried that my little guys at 7 weeks are getting too much poo on each other! They have a roost they can climb up on, but the ones who don't get up there are getting poo'd on.... I'd leave it alone, but in one case it was all gooey and gross. I washed her off, but I am afraid to wash them and then have them be too cold.

How do you safely wash a chick?
hmm.png

HUH I have the same prob but my chicks poo is pretty solid so it just rolls on off of them
lau.gif
I don't know if I would wash them to much but maybe try lowering the roost a bit? I don't know...is their poo pretty runny? My chicks have had runny poo when they were really little but then it firmed up. How old are your chicks? SOrry can't be of more help...maybe someone else will have a good idea for you. Mine is just to lower the roost so they can't lay under it. Chicks don't care really how high they are I don't think. Good luck

Is it possible to put a flat board directly under the roost? That way any chickens that are under the roost are still safe from that dreadful falling poo!

This is a temporary coop. It is sort of a bigger brooder box really. The older flock is in the perm coop and these are still in their 30 day quarantine. Their poo is still pretty goopy much of the time. they are only 6 weeks old.

The one I washed seems to have recovered, but I'd still like to know how to wash a chicken.....
hmm.png
yippiechickie.gif

T o wash them off, use warm water, mix a little apple cider vinegar in the water just a little, this helps with the feathers it is safe for them, or if you don't have that use a tiny tiny bit of dawn dish soap in the water. i like the apple cider vinegar. after u wash them make sure they don't get cold towel pat them dry then put them under a light so that they stay warm until they are dry.
smile.png

Last edited:
you can also blow dry on low heat. i know it sounds crazy, but I read it here and I've done it with silkies and japanese bantams.

I had show Broilers for FFA and we had to wash them for show day. We sat them in our laps with a towel and blew dryed them they loved the attention and it was kinda fun! One thing when you choose to bathe a chicken, I can't stress enough to NEVER let its head or beak get sumerged in water it will kill them.
besides that, good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom