Stop a duck from brooding

hammerklavier

In the Brooder
May 22, 2018
I have this Cayuga Roan duck, I was hoping to give her a break from laying and send her into molt so I got her to brood on a nest of golf balls. It has been five weeks and I'm thinking of getting her off the nest. What is the best strategy to stop a duck from brooding?

I was going to say if you figure it out share. I have a Muscovy who has been broody since May nothing stops her I can take her outside close all entrances into the coop and she’ll just go right back where she was. They sleep in this coop Her sister just gave up thank goodness. No eggs have been under them this whole time.

I was going to say if you figure it out share. I have a Muscovy who has been broody since May nothing stops her I can take her outside close all entrances into the coop and she’ll just go right back where she was. They sleep in this coop Her sister just gave up thank goodness. No eggs have been under them this whole time.
Oh geez! Poor you and poor her!

I have a Saxony girl just like that. She is super hormonal. I may need to try and let her hatch a couple eggs next year and see if it helps. Ironically, my Muscovy are far easier to break. Kicking them out of the coop, taking all the eggs, and destroying the nest usually works well for them. A dip in the cool water can help too sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom