Stop crowing rooster

Caponization (castration) will remove all male behaviors including crowing but it cannot be done on a bird over ~16 weeks and it is in this day and age difficult to find someone who practices it. It is a full surgery and it carries risks but if you can find someone able to do it, it will stop crowing completely as well as all mating and aggression.

I was wondering if there was another way to stop a rooster crowing other than a no-crow collar
Have him for dinner?
Sorry, seriously tho.......IMO, it's really very difficult ( and not really ethical) to eliminate such a natural behavior.

There is a surgical procedure that cauterizes the vocal cords of a rooster, it won't stop him from crowing but you can't hear him crow more than a few feet away. All other rooster behaviors are unaffected. This procedure is also risky.
Any very expensive. I think it's called 'decrowing', and there are a few vets in the US that will do the surgery.

Are you not allowed to have roosters where you live? Being a good neighbor and not wanting to disturb them even if it's legal? Honestly, either way I'd suggest finding him a home where he can do what comes naturally and crow to his little chickens heart's content. I'd much rather do that than invest in a risky operation to make him stop. It's a lot of money, and I would rather have my chicken's best interest in mind than my own.

I've done some reading on the no-crow collar, and I have to say I'm not convinced it's a good choice. If not fitted properly, it chafes and irritates the skin on the neck, causing feather loss which may lead to irritation or infection. Not to mention you would be suppressing his natural outlet for territorial display, which may leave him with his last resort of outright aggression. It's not like putting a no-bark collar on a dog. It may work in the short term, but it may lead to bigger problems further down the road. I would recommend reading all the reviews you can on as many sites as possible to get an idea if this is really the right choice. Peace and chicken love! :)

Back
Top Bottom