Stop That Hawk!!

Davaroo

Poultry Crank
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Leesville, SC
Hawks are a major predator of chickens, as evidenced by the many hawk posts seen here at BYC. Majestic birds of prey, they are often admired for their beauty. Too, they are protected by federal law, so there is always a mixed emotion about them. We want to like them, and the government insists we do - but they want to kill our chickens! What to do?

Some devise elaborate defenses of wire, dangling CD's and inflatable owls in hopes of deterring them. Others will follow the "Three S" method of controlling hawks... Shoot - Shovel - Shut up.
Still more will just throw up their arms and hope the hawk doesn't take too many chickens.

However, you may not want to build fancy, passive deterrents or turn your range into a shooting gallery... and maybe you don't wish to just roll over and appease the local hawk.
Is there something else? Well, maybe.

I was reading "Foxfire 3" and one of the chapters covered "Purple Martin Gourds."

If you are unfamiliar with the bird known as the purple martin, here is the basic concept: The purple martin is a type of swallow and migrates from Brazil each year. It comes north in late winter to raise it's young. It primarily visits the eastern US, with a few small enclaves in the SW deserts and the Pacific NW.
If you provide it a nesting site, it will set up a breeding nest on your property, raise its young until they can fly (usually around August) and then go back south.
"Home" to a purple martin is large round gourd, about the size of a volleyball. You can grow the gourds yourself, anywhere you can raise pumpkins or other marrows. Once they are dry and cured, you make them into a martin nest gourd and hang them from a pole about 20 feet off the ground. Martins are aerial birds and rarely land on the ground, except to gather nesting materials. In fact, it is rare to even see them in a tree.

So what does this have to do with hawk deterrence? Let me share what was written in "Foxfire 3" about martins:

"People in years back put up martin houses to entice martins to stay the summer - and chase off chicken hawks.

The primary reason people erect purple martin gourds today is to keep flying insects away from their gardens and from around the house. People who have them say they can sit outside late of a summer evening and not be bothered by mosquitoes or gnats.

Mr. L. Davis says, 'I guess they help me a lot, because they eat all the bugs and insects. Martins will cover a large area eating insects, mostly mosquitoes. You can see them dive like jet planes. People like martins especially, around ponds.'

Mr. B McClure, on the other hand, says this:
'My mother used to have purple martins long ago and they were not for catching insects, but to keep the hawks away from the chickens.
They'll fight them... they'll fight a crow, too. If a hawk comes around, the purple martins will gang up on him. They'll chase him right out of the country.'
"

Through happy coincidence, martins are insectivorous and eat their own weight in insects daily. So, while they are on guard for hawks, they also devour pesky mosquitoes, gnats and other bothersome insects.

AS you might imagine, their is far more to the story than I can tell here. Martins have simple needs, but they are rather particular needs, unique to them and them alone.

And whenever you introduce one species into an eco-system, you push something else out. In fact, proper management of your nesting site is a must if you are going to have success with martins.

Finally, they don't stay all year, so they must be seen as only one part of an overall hawk deterrent scheme in those areas where they will live.

But, all things considered, they certainly bear some research. SO look into it and see if this old fashioned, nature friendly method of hawk deterrence is for you!

For more information, visit the Purple Martin Conservancy Association, here:

http://purplemartin.org/main/mgt.html

Last edited:
That is very interesting. We actually have a large amout of gourds we want to turn into bird houses. I have found this also works with having habitat for an assortment of song birds. We have a lot of hawks in the area, but the 2 times I have seen them in our yard they were being mobbed by large groups of song birds and flying away as quickly as possible.

Sadly, we're in a part of the Pacific Northwest that the Martin's have seen fit to ignore. However, we have the next best thing: Bluebirds, and Pine Crossbills. They hate hawks with a passion.

We've installed about 20 Bluebird houses on the property and hawks, during the spring, summer and autumn months aren't much of a problem. Currently ever single bluebird house is occupied!

I so wish the bluebirds and crossbills were here year round. Winter is the only time we have any kind of a problem with the birds of prey.
sad.png

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it!
thumbsup.gif

Another cool thing about martins is they do not compete with chickens.

Chickens are terrestrial birds and martins, aerial. Given that they share such dissimilar habits, the martins don't eat your chicken feed as other wild birds might! They also don't consume the ground dwelling insects that your chickens take such delight in. Best of all, they stay to themselves, so they are unlikely to transmit birdie diseases to your flock.

Now, I don't want to give any one the idea that I am a nice guy when it comes to wild birds. I pretty much hold to the old notion that they are free loaders and disease carriers, and do not plan to set up any feeding stations for them in my yard.

But I could make an exception for martins, I think.

We have Foxfire books too!
big_smile.png
Awesome reading and knowledge in there.

You are right. Blue Jays are another bird notorious for chasing away hawks here.

I have never had a hawk eat any chicken I have had. I did have one eat a parrot I had once when she escaped her cage outside. I walked out just in time to see him swoop down, grab her, and take her to the top of the oak tree and eat her.....but that was it. They don't bother my chickens thankfully. I had suspected a hawk got a pullet and grown hen a couple weeks ago but I now think it was a fox as I have found a trail of feathers leading to a den since then.

Quote:
Can you coax these birds to live with you, as you can martins? I dont really know....
And I dont know about you, but how cool is it that you can grow a martins "house" in your garden?

Talk about your eco-friendly double whammies! That alone is worth the price of admission.
smile.png

Funny story on the line of birds harassing hawks.

I was eating my lunch one day in a parking lot of a strip center when I noticed some bird activity on a light pole in the strip center.

There was a red tail sitting on the light, with three or four crows harassing the hawk and about a dozen black birds dive bombing the crows. It was quite comical.

Back
Top Bottom