Stopped at the feed store ---- you know the rest , don't you?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Jun 19, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well I went to the feed store today to stock up on start and grow as I have new 1 day old's coming next Weds. and with the price going up higher everyday I want to start stock up now when I can. Well, I knew yesterday that there was a lady coming today with chicks, quail, rabbits and turkeys. I thought I would just go and check it out , just to see the fuzzy butts but not buy any. (Yeah , right, must be STRONG) They looked so bad, dirty and some with pasty butts and she was trying to pass them all off as pullets, (she had a watertrough full of them mixed in with the quail and turkeys , what a mess) any way she had barred rock roo's in with them and you could tell they were roo's with the head spots. So I was really good and did not save any as I figured she honestly did not even know what she had , I am pretty sure she did not sex them. So I decided to stop at my other feed store for some outside plants and in talking to her and telling her about the fiasco at the other feed store she said " I have 3 week old RIR 's pullets here if you want those". Needless to say I was elated!!!!! So now I have 8 of them in my hutch until Weds and then I will have to move them to the baby pen to make room for the one day olds. I kinda think they do not look like 3 week olds yet as they are pretty small, but what do you all thik? They still have alot of down but they have most of their wing feathers already. It seems like an eternity since mine 9 1/2 weeks olds were that small, I can not remember what they look like, so you tell me do they look like 3 week olds yet to you all?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    I am NOT an expert...my chickens have been here less than 2 weeks. However, I have some RIRs that turned a week old Wednesday, and they look like your pictures...perhaps just a tad less feathered.

Congratulations! And Lord, help me stay out of the feed store, please!

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Going by the feathering, I'd say 2 weeks. Give or take a few days.

Congrats [​IMG] They're cute!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have 4 week olds, 2 week olds and one week olds and they look just like my 2 week olds. They are adorable. Those poor other birds! I hope she takes care of them and they don't die [​IMG] I hate when people do that to the poor things!!

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Nice looking chicks [​IMG]

I'd say two also since my 3 weeks old are much larger than those Lol thankfully my feed store is out of chicks till next spring! I just have to worry about the fair in August and all the 4H'ers getting rid of their chickens. I just know I'm going to come home with a few!

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, three weeks old. I just so happen to have a bunch of those on my back porch. [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Looking at the combs and tails I would say 3 weeks old. I have some 3 week old, supposed to be aracaunas, here that I compared them too. I was Real Unhappy when the tails started growing. [​IMG]
    I'm glad you didn't purchase the other chicks. The only way to stop sellers like that is to not buy from them. I would put a bug in the owners ear too saying you ended up buying from the other feed store because of the condition theirs were in.

8. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute birdies you got there!! [​IMG]

9. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks so much for the nice comments, I think they are beauties! I do hope that other lady does take better care of her chicks too, really I hope that she sells them all to good homes and she does not have to take them back to hers, since they were a mess.

10. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    TRUDY!!! FUZZY BUTTS! CONGATS!
    They are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by