Stopped being able to feel goat kids

aliciaFarmer

Songster
May 3, 2018
Oregon
I'm new to goat breeding as I have only been raising goats (as an adult) since last year. I have 3 Nigerian Dwarf does, two of which are pregnant. The first one is due February 15th based upon when they witnessed her being covered however she had gone in with the buck 2 weeks before that so I'm guessing it's possible she could kid sooner. I was able to start feeling her babies three+ weeks ago but as of the past 5 days I haven't been able to feel a thing. She's acting normal outside of being more moody than usual to the other does so I'm hoping all is well. Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm wondering if maybe she's farther along and the kids are getting ready. Her belly has dropped a bit and her ligaments feel a tad squishy. Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

Stand behind the doe and clasp your hands together under her belly right in front of the udder. Now, push up sharply. You should be able to feel the kids as they come back down. You can often feel kids that have dropped down. Feel around under her belly and you may be able to feel hard spots, which are the kids.

Stand behind the doe and clasp your hands together under her belly right in front of the udder. Now, push up sharply. You should be able to feel the kids as they come back down. You can often feel kids that have dropped down. Feel around under her belly and you may be able to feel hard spots, which are the kids.

Thank you. I *can* feel the kids/hard spots, I just can't feel them moving anymore whereas I could up until a few days ago. I also could see them wiggling inside before but no longer can. I know it's a tight fit, but I figured I'd be able to feel some form of movement still since she has another week or three. At least I did with my son, but I'm obvously not a goat.

Admittedly, I could be feeling paranoid. My breeder friend just delivered 2 stillborn babies.

They could be moving into the birthing position. I believe that happens a day or so before.

I'm going to go with that because the idea of babies within the next day or so has me over the moon! Though I haven't felt them in a few days but still, they could definitely be moving into position. Last time she had three and looks at least as big this time if not more so. I imagine that's pretty tight fit!

Probably everything is OK. Just fix yourself a nice cup of tea and try to relax. It helps to remember that things don't happen until they do.

So true indeed and great advice! I'm just going to believe everything is good because I don't want to put any negativity out there.

Thank you so much. If she has them within the next couple of days I'll post pictures.

I'm going to go with that because the idea of babies within the next day or so has me over the moon! Though I haven't felt them in a few days but still, they could definitely be moving into position. Last time she had three and looks at least as big this time if not more so. I imagine that's pretty tight fit!
I had one have 5 once. One didn't make it. It was a little pygmy goat.

Back
Top Bottom