Stopped giving scratch

1goose2ducks

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
I used to mix half and half scratch with flock raiser for my chickens ducks and geese but recently I have limited their scratch consumption to a handful with the flock raiser. My ducks used to be a little fat and spoiled now I notice they are loosing a little weight. Is it because of the diet change or the cold or what? :idunno

Probably a bit of both. I feed my birds a bit more corn in winter. My muscovy and chickens love whole corn. You may have to tweak your amounts until you find what works best for your birds.

Ok thank you so much a have been doing the opposite. I give them less corn when it’s cold :he
You will definitely get different opinions on what is best as far as feeding. I'm in a colder climate and I find my birds do better with a bit more corn in cold months.

Corn isn't always a bad thing, it makes up a big part of any ration. I like whole because they can get the benefit of the whole kernel, but I also feed some cracked too. I throw mine out so birds have to forage for their goodies, which gets them moving.

A good balanced ration should always be available, and with feeding a lower protein corn make sure to feed a higher protein ration to offset that corn so they don't end up deficit.

The usual rule is 10% of the diet for extras, but I exceed that number probably. My usage goes up and down based on what I'm seeing with my birds.

I feed Scratch Grains with some Cardinal mix, 7# to 25# of Scratch, 20181111_101456.jpg as a treat once a day year round, scattered over bedding. 20181118_093946.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom