Stopped laying

Bedford Guineas

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2021
Hey I have a few questions. Not real experienced with chickens.
-Egg laying slowed down over the fall and winter which I expected. Then in January I let them in to cleanup last year's vegetable garden, we also had a warm spell and laying picked up. Mid February I kept them out of the garden, we had a very cold spell and they completely stopped laying for the past 4 weeks. Just a couple of little tiny marble sized eggs. Does that sound normal?
-A couple of hens appear to be molting, lots of pin feathers visible. I didn't think they would molt this time of year. Is that normal?
-Do any of the homeopathic worm recipes work? I've heard garlic, hot peppers, apple cider vinegar used.

They're just 2 years old. this month.
Ok, chickens don't molt in their first year so they've stopped laying as their molting.

Ensure their feed is 18% protein during this time. It's not unusual for some hen's to molt late especially when there's been a warm spell followed by a cold snap.

So just give them time, check your feeds protein etc.

It seems like they're not molting all at the same time a couple appeared to molt in the fall. 1 is molting now although I can't be sure what is molting and what is rooster feather loss. A couple seemed to molt so gradually it wasn't really noticeable but they have such healthy shiny plumage they must have molted.
No sign of worms mites or any other issues. I was thinking of a preventive measure, something natural.

Back
Top Bottom