Stopped Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckncover, Sep 22, 2014.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    My chicken recently stopped laying after a cage change. She started laying around 3 eggs a week starting this spring but I changed her cage to a bigger one. She continued to lay but then I discovered she was getting her head stuck in the bars, so I put her back in her original setup. She hasn't laid in about a week. Anything I can do to encourage her?

2. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    Are you sure she stopped laying and you don't have a predator stealing them? My friend thought hers stopped laying only to find an opossum stealing the eggs.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Funny part about that is Frizzle is an single, indoor chicken, haha. I was surprised she even started laying at all considering she only goes outside a few times a week to dustbathe and forge. She lives in a large parrot cage. I tried putting in a nest box again. She usually won't use one but maybe that is the point she is trying to make. I have 2 plastic eggs that are always in with her to prevent egg eating and encourage her to lay them where I put them at. I think she is upset about the cage move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by