Stopping diarrhea in 4 wk old chicks?

Redmogur

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
My four week old chicks are currently having watery diarrhea. We switched them from the 20% protein crumbles to the 16% starter crumbles and they get a tiny bit of broccoli and mealworms. Each day are in there any natural cures that I can do at home?

My four week old chicks are currently having watery diarrhea. We switched them from the 20% protein crumbles to the 16% starter crumbles and they get a tiny bit of broccoli and mealworms. Each day are in there any natural cures that I can do at home?
16% is too low of protein for 4 week old chicks. I would also recommend not giving any broccoli. It can be hard on the digestive system and growing chicks can be even more sensitive.

16% is too low of protein for 4 week old chicks. I would also recommend not giving any broccoli. It can be hard on the digestive system and growing chicks can be even more sensitive.
Of many of the sources that I have looked into say the biggest cause is too much protein. I’ll stop the broccoli but, still confused lol

Of many of the sources that I have looked into say the biggest cause is too much protein. I’ll stop the broccoli but, still confused lol
Did the sources state what protein level is right, and what is too high? Did they state what age of chickens they were talking about?

20% protein is very common in chick starter, and typically works fine. Some people raise chicks on higher protein levels than that (like 24% gamebird starter), and their chicks do fine too.

Did the diarrhea start before or after the feed switch?

Did you already check for coccidiosis? It is one of the most common causes of diarrhea in chicks.

Check whether they are too hot (sometimes their behavior will indicate this.) Hot chickens tend to drink more water, which causes extra-watery poop that looks like diarrhea. If that's the cause, the problem will go away on its own within a day or less after the temperature gets fixed.

Last edited:
Did the sources state what protein level is right, and what is too high? Did they state what age of chickens they were talking about?

20% protein is very common in chick starter, and typically works fine. Some people raise chicks on higher protein levels than that (like 24% gamebird starter), and their chicks do fine too.

Did the diarrhea start before or after the feed switch?

Did you already check for coccidiosis? It is one of the most common causes of diarrhea in chicks.

Check whether they are too hot (sometimes their behavior will indicate this.) Hot chickens tend to drink more water, which causes extra-watery poop that looks like diarrhea. If that's the cause, the problem will go away on its own within a day or less after the temperature gets fixed.
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom