Store bought Christmas tree recycling

Aug 17, 2020
Manchester, UK
Hi all, I have two store bought Christmas trees which are currently in the garden awaiting recycling.

I wondered if I could give them to the chickens for them to recycle/compost, perch on and as shelter?

They have been in the yard part of the garden for a few days and been well rained/snowed on but instead of chopping them down for our recycling bins I thought why not treat the girls.
I worry the pine needles are unsafe for them and as they forage a lot, I didn't want them to eat them & become sick.

Are Christmas trees safe for the girls?

Also... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ❤️

They may or may not eat it, but it should be ok to give to them. Mine may get ours since the goats seem disinterested.

My chickens nibble at white pine needles on the regular, not sure how they’ll feel about Douglas Fir.

I gave my chickens a Christmas tree the first winter I had them but they never used it. I know other flock will use them but I think mine are just a little stuckup.
I do put trees outside the run to help with blocking wind more or my the bird feeder for the wild birds.

Lovely, thanks for your replies, the weather is getting so cold here in Manchester and as snow begins to fall, I want to keep them occupied and also sheltered. I will pop one out for them and see what they think. Marigold is a inquisitive little lady so I'm sure she will have a gander and the rest will follow her lead.
There are bird flu restrictions here at the mo, so I find keeping them occupied is difficult as they can venture like they normally do.

xx

Back
Top Bottom