store bought eggs...and other questions

mrsengeseth

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Colorado...but home is Maine
The eggs I bought today have a candling date on them...ummm I know what candling is, but why would a carton of eggs have a candling date on it (bought in safeway)

And as far as candling eggs goes...what is the "bullseye" I should be looking for...where on the egg should I see it? At the ends? Middle, Pointy end, round end? (edited to add: ok, i found a thread about bullseyes. got it i think. You see a bullseye on a cracked open egg, right?)

Last edited:
well, first of all, the "bullseye" can't be seen unless you crack open the egg. It's also called a germinal spot. It is on the yolk. If the egg is fertile, then the spot will be more like an "O' shaped. If it's not, it will be smaller and more like an "☻" spot( a circle with no open area on the inside, not like an O that has an open area!)

and a way to tell if the eggs are fertile, put them in the bator, humidity at about 40-50% and temp. at like 98-102* F, and after 4+ days, candle them and see if you see any veining. If so, then you have a baby forming!!!
big_smile.png
If not, wait until like day 7 or 8 and candle them again, and if still no veining,
sad.png
then you can throw them out.

Good luck!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
it has not only a candling date but a "repacked date"...the repacked date is blank. They were sold out of the others (very small safeway store) so this was the only thing i could get.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
smile.png

Quote:
it has not only a candling date but a "repacked date"...the repacked date is blank. They were sold out of the others (very small safeway store) so this was the only thing i could get.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
smile.png

did it have a Julian date on it

Quote:
no...don't have a clue what that is...no sell by date on it or the other packages like this one (only brand left there on the shelf)

Ok well the candling date is the same as the Julian date so its just the type machine stamper they are using.. but wierd no sell by date.

Back
Top Bottom