Store bought vs Home made chicken coop?

Rabbitlover1

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
Some were on this earth.
I live in a neighborhood and I'm planing on getting 6 chickens soon but I still don't know if I should build or buy my chicken coop. I really want to build my own but it sounds kinda hard and it has to look good or my homeowner association will freak and I have never really built any thing like a chicken coop before. I've found a coop that I really like at TSC for $199. that says it will fight 6 chickens but the run looks kinda small and a still really want to build my own coop. What should I do? I'm starting to lean more over to buying a coop but the run still looks really small for 6 chickens!
idunno.gif

IMO you should build your own.
I think the pre-fab will be a big disappointment. From what I have read, they do not hold up well, they are cramped, leak, not enough light and ventilation and not made to last.
There are many plans, threads, ideas here on BYC and the web. If you build you can customize it to suit your specific needs.
I'm sure others will chime in.

One important question though, since you live where there is a "homeowner association" governing you, have you made sure that chickens are allowed?

IMO you should build your own. 
I think the pre-fab will be a big disappointment. From what I have read, they do not hold up well, they are cramped, leak, not enough light and ventilation and not made to last.
There are many plans, threads, ideas here on BYC and the web. If you build you can customize it to suit your specific needs.
I'm sure others will chime in.

One important question though, since you live where there is a "homeowner association" governing you, have you made sure that chickens are allowed?

An extremely good question!

Another option for something pretty is to go to Lowe’s, Home Depot, or a building supply store maybe and get a prefabbed shed kit. I’d suggest a wooden one. I had my 10 and 12 year old boys put one together for me years ago so they could do some learning. I provided a little muscle but they read the plans and drove every nail. No cutting was involved. I did provide the foundation before they started.

It’s not that hard to convert a shed into a coop. You add roosts, nest, a pop door, and ventilation and you have a really nice coop. For the shed foundation I used old railroad ties but you can use cinder block, pour a concrete foundation, or maybe use treated 4” x 6” timbers. Getting a level foundation may be your biggest challenge in this.

Here is an old thread about those prefabbed coops. You might want to read it before you spend money on one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852529/money-poorly-spent

Quote: You've had some great advice. I have done what Ridgerunner suggests. Used branches for roosts, put plastic basins for nests on a shelf and hey-presto - done. If i was to ever build a coop, I would certainly just buy a shed and fit it out myself.

CT

I haven't check my home owners association yet but I don't see why I wouldn't be aloud to keep chickens. My neighborhood has plenty of sheds,outside dogs and gardens plus you can hear roasters from it and it's surrounded by cow pastures. Also as long as it is not in public viewing point it should be fine. These chickens are going to be kept as a hobby(AKA pets) so yeah chickens will be fine , but I'm still going to ask. Thanks!

Looks like I have some building to do cause it sounds like home made is the way to go. Oh yeah btw I really like your idea Rigerunner but I plan on using a chickens tractor so I think that I'm going to have to skip that idea. If it wasn't for you guys I would be buying some over priced junk they call a chicken coop at the store. Thanks so much for all the help, I really needed it!

Back
Top Bottom