Store out of 20%, is 15% okay and for how long?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stonerowfarm, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I have had my now 9-week old chicks on 20% protein crumbles. TSC has been out of this for over a week and I just ran out of my supply (these little guys eat tons).

I picked up 15% to tide them over but the store doesn't know if the 20% will be in on Friday or not. So, the question is - how long can the eat this lower protein and be okay and should I be supplementing them with something until it comes in.

Thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    What breed are they? Meat or Layers?

3. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    If your worried i have used catfood in the past to bring protein up it is according to what you have you have to grind it though or use soft but that makes a mess with your chicks

4. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    Sorry about that - they are layers. Black sex link hens and one little RIR roo. I'm trying to find another store locally who carries it, but it seems like chicks are huge in my area all the sudden and the store can't keep stocked.

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Check your yellow pages for real feed store. You should be able to find on even if you have to drive a bit to get to it. If you feed dog or cat dry food make sure to grind it up smaller so chicks can handle it.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tell me about it. I can't believe how hard it was to get what I wanted this year. I've even heard of stores running out of wood shavings!!

I've never had this problem before. Would you people just quit ordering chicks and let me do what I have been doing. This is getting to be too much work. Drive here for one breed, here for another, pick up shavings here... hey, there's a sale on heat lamp bulbs here............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by