1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storebought eggs to encourage red stars to go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wullus, May 23, 2012.

1. wullus

wullus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Okay, so I've got 2 fertilized eggs, and I went down to the nest and put them and four non-fertilized store bought ones in it too... I've marked the fertilized from the non-fertilized. Oh and I've also got one of those fake eggs too.

If I leave them in there, will this encourage my red star hen to go broody and sit on them? I know there is like no chance of that happening, but I though that if tomorrow morning she layed her next egg and then she might sit on them if there are already six eggs in the nest. Is this likely?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My MIL and I both leave eggs in the nests for the hens to go broody on. She's got bantams, so it works well for her [​IMG]
    Mine is betting broody more frequently with the eggs in, but it doesn't always work immediately. Sometimes they take their sweet time to take the bait, so to speak.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Put a dozen fake eggs in the nest. If your hen goes broody put fertile eggs under her. Otherwise you are going to end up with several rotten eggs.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Seeing as how one of my sex-links is determinedly broody right now it's possible one of yours might find herself in the mood if you present her with a sweet set up.

But don't count on it. Broodiness is a trait the breeders try hard to eliminate in commercial working birds.

5. wullus

wullus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Queensland, Australia
    Ok I've set around 7 eggs (2 fertile ones in there) on the nest. Is this enough to get her going? Will she just look at them and go broody and try and sit on them? (I know if she's a Red Star it is unlikely, but what makes them go broody??)

Also, how is it possible to breed a chicken's "behavior" out of it? :S

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good question! I have ex battery hens and they go broody all the time. You'll have to keep your fingers crossed now that your lady will take the bait and go broody. She may, she may not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by