Stores Caught Dumping Items That Could Be Given To Charity.

I understand your concerns on wasteful practices, but believe it or not we are all guilty of it. I would sincerly be in deep doo doo if someone were to pick apart my daily practices and boycott me, it would be a lonely place.

Most companies are under contract with suppliers, and alot of your cheaper markets have the same contracts....so there would be a big problem for those who try to buy frugal to stop shopping at these merchants and go elsewhere. Most of can not afford to do that.

My suggestion to those who want to become none wasteful is to start at home. Start using clothe diapers..disposables are very wasteful, sew, make your own clothing, dont buy boxed dinners, cook, no fast food, donate your wares to charity, and volunteer your time in your community. All the things you can do personally will make a difference!

Quote:
Very wise comments.

I also chose to eat steak a couple of times when I could have chosen hamburger and donated the difference. I gave leftovers to chickens when I knew there were hungry people in the world. My children are spoiled with things they desire, and I know there are children with less than I could stand if I knew their personal situation. I have walked passed the beggars wondering if they were running some scam and driving a Escalade parked around the corner with 20/20 filming me drive by. I cannot throw the first stone at anyone, because I know my own practices are not perfect.

I also agree that one should begin at home to find resource saving practices, and work to better one's service and donation practices privately. HarlanHollows, thanks for the insight.

Quote:
This attitude just strikes me as giving the entire class detention because one student shot a rubber band at the teacher's backside.

I admit that I don't understand your analogy. You are going to have to break down how this applies to business because I must be too dimwitted to understand.(very possible)

No one is talking about doing anything legally against those companies. Just using their practices as a reason to shop or not shop in a store. That is our right as shoppers. We all take into account many factors when choosing which stores to patronize.

No one is talking about punishing any store, only making informed decisions about where to shop.

It's easy to find the information on vendors who won't allow their merchandise to be donated. You just ask and observe. It's really that easy.

Yep and you can use that information to decide where to shop.
smile.png
Why would I find the information out if I wasn't going to use it? I get the feeling that we might be arguing past one another.

Some call it waste, but on the flip side, why is anyone entitled to the leftovers? If someone really wants to feed the homeless so much, they can volunteer to pay higher taxes to pay for welfare and heath care programs. I would hope that everyone involved in putting such pressure on the big companies is also making charitable donations of their own, either of goods or of time, rather than being those who expect to benefit from such donations.

Paying higher taxes so that someone else can solve the problem is a cope out, in my opinion. We have been fighting a war on poverty for decades and we are not decreasing the ranks of the poor.

You as an individiual can do to a lot help others. We can all make huge differences in the lifes of others with only a minimal effort. How difficult is it to donate our own outgrown coats or clothing? Not that hard. Not to toot my own horn, but I have bought food for people that I knew had difficulty and once someone bought food for me when my family was having a hard time. Really, it isn't that hard to patronize stores that you believe have good practices.

I have said over and over that I understand that the merchandise belongs to the store. I don't think that the goverment should enact laws to force the businesses to donate. But we use a lot of factors in deciding where to shop. How a store disposes of its unused merchandise is as good a factor as any.

Darn it , Prettiest Frog, everytime that I try to post a comment to you, I get a sytax error the first time. Are you encrypting your posts just to aggravate me
big_smile.png
tongue.png

There is another side to this, I have worked in food service as a chef for years. We used to donate food to shelters and they got so picky on when they would pick up, how it has to be packaged and labeled, how much of each item they wanted most places stopped doing it. Most places will only pick up once a week or every other week business don't have the space to store all this stuff and freezer and cooler space is very limited.. Where my wife works they expect the store staff to stop what they are doing to help load the stuff, management told them they can not help load then the pick up people get mad. Where she works they put stuff on carts that is donated, if the pick up guy doesnt think it is a exceptable ammount he looks around the store and says " well how about all that stuff to?" NO only the stuff on the cart. Needless to say this is the last month the store will be donating then all foes in the trash. She works at a major grocery store.
Just like everything else they ruined it for themselves.

Just dig it out of the trash..... When it hits the trash can its fair game. Need food? Hang out at a gas station till the food venders get there then raid the trash after they leave. They may own the trash cans an the items they are puting it to them but once they are in there they are public property. If you work there call someone to do it.... Most company are required to throw there products away but they turn there heads after that. Many food venders stack there "trash" on top of the dumpster.

Quote:
I agree. We always need to be aware of our own practices.

I try very hard not to waste but we have all been guilty of doing so. Sometimes people get overwhelmed with how much is wrong with the world and think that they can do nothing to help. But we can.

It might not seem like a big deal to donate to a drive for coats or to give donate school supplies, but it all adds up in the long run. And you really can make a difference. If everyone did these things, think how much we could help others.

We have a lot more power then we think that we do.

Quote:
I have heard- and Prettiest Frog touched on this- that sometimes the charities themselves make it difficult for businesses to donate to them.

That is correct. Some charities do get a sense of entitlement and start trying to dictate to donors. Guess what? Those places are no longer on my bread route
big_smile.png
I know the owner of the place where I donate on a first name basis. I once asked her if a load of bread that was expired by 2 days was OK to bring by. Her reply?
"If the people coming in for donations don't like what we have to offer, I guess they will have to go buy their own stuff!" LOL

Very level headed woman. She gets ALL our donations and the recipients volunteer too. Not a lot of slackers and freeloaders. Just people with a real need.

Quote:
I don't see eating steak as a waste. You are supporting the people who raise the cattle, aren't you? So you are helping people keep their jobs. I also don't see giving food to animals to be wasting it because it is going to use. If you dumped the leftovers in the trash that would be a waste.

A charity would probably not take the food that you had left on your plate anyway.

This thread is good because it seems to be turning into a discussion on ways that we can help others on our own.

I really believe that small actions can help.

Darn it. I got a syntax code from you too. You are all in a plot against me.
lol.png

Quote:
I agree. We always need to be aware of our own practices.

I try very hard not to waste but we have all been guilty of doing so. Sometimes people get overwhelmed with how much is wrong with the world and think that they can do nothing to help. But we can.

It might not seem like a big deal to donate to a drive for coats or to give donate school supplies, but it all adds up in the long run. And you really can make a difference. If everyone did these things, think how much we could help others. We have a lot more power then we think that we do.

Now you are talking on a personal level, we can all appreciate to need for charity, lets start there!

Back
Top Bottom