Storing Chicken eggs!

Lewbylew99

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Everybody!
frow.gif

Ive been putting my chicken eggs on the side in a egg crate,
Now i really dont know if that keeps them fresh too eat?

Which one do you think is the best way to store a chicken egg to eat?
Fridge , Cupboard or On the side?

Lewbylew99

I've always stored mine pointy end down in the refrigerator. They will last several months at room temp but longer if refrigerated. In Eurpoe, eggs are sold at room temp.

I believe storing pointy end down helps prevent the yolk from sticking to anything by minimizing contact.

In a bowl however they were placed there when I picked them up from the coop. The bowl sits on the counter. The eggs aren't washed, if they're really dirty we wipe the soiled part off before cracking.

Thanks for all your help, I am going to keep it on the side for now on...
Thanks again for the replys

Lewbylew99

If you really want to store for the time when the hens quit laying, coat the cleaner ones with lard and store in a root cellar or fridge. They will keep for months this way. That is the way it was done before there was refrigeration. One thing, use the dirty ones first on a daily basis and do not coat. Coat the cleaner ones. Washing an egg removes the natural coating on the outside thus the possibility of salmonella developing within the egg. Ah, wonder why eggs got a bad rap after the commercial farms started making pretty eggs? We always used to put them in the pump house where they always stayed cool.

I have been storing mine in the fridge, well they stay out on the counter in blaskets (littles in one basket, biggies in another) for about 2 weeks (that is 2 weeks worth of eggs to fill baskets) then I put them pointy side down in cartons in the fridge.

I have read where people say they will keep for MONTHS stored in the fridge or other cold places, but on Friday and today, Sunday I decided that it was time for me to use up all of our older eggs, so I have been boiling them and mashing some, turned some into deviled eggs and some will be pickled as soon as I get a recipe and the others frozen in boiled state maybe for eating later.

As I was boiling eggs I had to throw out at least 2 dozen because the eggs floated to the top of the water (bad egg) and 2 dozen froze in our small fridge (I loose quite a few eggs in the small fridge
sad.png
). So am I doing something wrong with our eggs????

I wish I could sell them, they are all still kinda small b/c our girls are still young so people tend to stay away from them?????

I have been storing mine in the fridge, well they stay out on the counter in blaskets (littles in one basket, biggies in another) for about 2 weeks (that is 2 weeks worth of eggs to fill baskets) then I put them pointy side down in cartons in the fridge.

I have read where people say they will keep for MONTHS stored in the fridge or other cold places, but on Friday and today, Sunday I decided that it was time for me to use up all of our older eggs, so I have been boiling them and mashing some, turned some into deviled eggs and some will be pickled as soon as I get a recipe and the others frozen in boiled state maybe for eating later.

As I was boiling eggs I had to throw out at least 2 dozen because the eggs floated to the top of the water (bad egg) and 2 dozen froze in our small fridge (I loose quite a few eggs in the small fridge
sad.png
). So am I doing something wrong with our eggs????

I wish I could sell them, they are all still kinda small b/c our girls are still young so people tend to stay away from them?????
I give any extra to the church pantry. I have fed many with my extra eggs! The girls went to freezer camp today but they fed alot of folks. Now they will feed us. I'm going to can them. I now know I need several roosters for thirty chickens! I'm going to start my own eggs!

Back
Top Bottom