storing eggs ( before incubation)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peterc, Dec 11, 2010.

1. peterc

peterc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    My Silver duckwings keep laying eggs in the barn ( which is FREEZING ) there not setting either Just laying them in a basket . A friend of mine asked me to take out and store around 15 for him) so he can hatch them out.
    My question is
    1. Are they already spoiled since its been below freezing the last few days ?
    2. If I take newer eggs out. ( How ) should I store them and at what temperature ?
    Thank You in Advance:)
    Peter

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    if the egg hasn't cracked you may be in good shape-its hard to tell at this point. what you can do is collect everyday put them in a cool spot in house ( basement/closet) 55-60 degrees..and keep collecting with pointy side down-and rotate eggs daily once is fine to keep the insides from sticking to the inside shells of eggs-just stick the carton tilted up a little then tilt to the other side-like a teeter totter:) Ive collected for 3 weeks for certain hatches and they did great!!

3. peterc

Oct 6, 2009
    Wow, and Thank You ! I just checked, pulled out 6 with no cracks, and left the other 3 in there ( marked with an X). I appreciate your help !
    Peter

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Just so Im not confused ( which happens alot) you pulled 6 out to store so far...and you left 3 in the coop area?? can I ask why you wouldnt collect those up too-even though you cant use them for hatching? eat them?? feed them back to the troops?? just curious??? oh and your very welcome! [​IMG]

5. peterc

Oct 6, 2009
    Oh. should I take the other 3 out......? I wanted to leave them so she would continue to use that box.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG]
    Quote:If they started using them-they will continue to --I collect my duck eggs everyday-and everyday there they are again:) take them out-by leaving the eggs in there-cracked you might get yourself in trouble with egg eating and that is not a pretty think to break from them:-( so collect everyday:)

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    You can store them in the fridge, it wont hurt a thing, they stay fresher longer that way, & no it will not affect your hatch rate.

8. vickircafe

vickircafe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2009
    Orange Lake, FL
    I thought storing any eggs in the fridge would kill the egg's embryo. Everything I've read says not under 40 degrees.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Its not the best method for storing eggs-but I have done it-But I put them in cartons -wrap in hand towel-and place in veggie drawer of fridge where they are more insulated and not subjected to the coldest temps of fridge-only on the hottest days of SUmmer where there's not a cool spot to be had in my house...

10. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    It gets pretty cold here in Wisconsin, but with my hatch I just collected the eggs within a few hours of laying and then set them on the counter to sit until the incubator was ready. Some felt pretty cold when I took them out of the coop but 9/9 eggs hatched!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by