Storing eggs for Incubator

Rennie

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Derbyshire, England
Whats the best way to collect say 6 eggs if im only getting one a day ??

Should i leave them in the nest until I have a few ..or would i be ok taking them out and storing them in say an egg box ?

I might try and Incubate the eggs i collect but dont want to add them one at a time .. or is this my only option?

collect them one day at a time, place them in a cool area (cellar works well) in an egg carton and tip them. then each day, tilt the other direction. once you have enough, go ahead and start incubating.

Hi,
I generally collect them in an egg box pointy end down.
I keep them at room temperature and do not turn them.
Hatch rate is good, so I'm doing something right.

Good Luck,
sandie

Ideally hatching eggs should be stored in an area between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit with a similar humidity. As near as you can get to that will do for eggs stored less than seven days.

Here in Florida where I am at this time of year I keep them in the refrigerator. Going to be another 99 degree day it looks like.

Thanks for the help,

So a nice cool place in an egg carton it is then ... Just need to find that cool place
smile.png

I have the same question about ducks - indian runner. i get 3 eggs every morning (from all 3 female ducks
wink.png
). our temp overnight is still below 40 degrees, i'm from washington state. (warmer temps are coming according the weather forecasts). i was in the quail thread last year and someone said (a very smart guy who'd done lots of researches and tests) quail eggs should not be kept in temps lower than 46 degrees to be viable. i'm taking temps in the coop nowadays.

what is the optimum laying temps for duck eggs to be viable for hatching?

Back
Top Bottom