1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Storing eggs for Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rennie, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Whats the best way to collect say 6 eggs if im only getting one a day ??

Should i leave them in the nest until I have a few ..or would i be ok taking them out and storing them in say an egg box ?

I might try and Incubate the eggs i collect but dont want to add them one at a time .. or is this my only option?

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    collect them one day at a time, place them in a cool area (cellar works well) in an egg carton and tip them. then each day, tilt the other direction. once you have enough, go ahead and start incubating.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi,
    I generally collect them in an egg box pointy end down.
    I keep them at room temperature and do not turn them.
    Hatch rate is good, so I'm doing something right.

Good Luck,
    sandie

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Ideally hatching eggs should be stored in an area between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit with a similar humidity. As near as you can get to that will do for eggs stored less than seven days.

Here in Florida where I am at this time of year I keep them in the refrigerator. Going to be another 99 degree day it looks like.

5. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Thanks for the help,

So a nice cool place in an egg carton it is then ... Just need to find that cool place [​IMG]

6. Coulter Farm12

Coulter Farm12 In the Brooder

What about Ducks and Geese?

7. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Chirping

May 2, 2011
    I have the same question about ducks - indian runner. i get 3 eggs every morning (from all 3 female ducks [​IMG] ). our temp overnight is still below 40 degrees, i'm from washington state. (warmer temps are coming according the weather forecasts). i was in the quail thread last year and someone said (a very smart guy who'd done lots of researches and tests) quail eggs should not be kept in temps lower than 46 degrees to be viable. i'm taking temps in the coop nowadays.

what is the optimum laying temps for duck eggs to be viable for hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by