Storing Feed in a Refrigerator?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KayC2016, Oct 23, 2016.

1. KayC2016

KayC2016 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Remlap, Alabama
    Okay, So I have no way to store my feed in my run or coop. So my husband and I had a refrigerator that no longer worked. We set it up and the back of the house (out of sight) and turned it on to its back so that it sits like a deep freezer. I have put my feed in the refrigerator part and the top freezer part I store my BOSS and such. Does anyone see any drawbacks to this set up...it is not working and simply being used as a storage "box". It sits in the shade with no direct sunlight on it. Has anyone else used this or know of any drawbacks? Thanks in advance!!!

2. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Good Morning

honestly madam, chicken feed can be stored anywhere as long as it doesn't get moist or wet and try to make it away from rodents and bugs; you know those little critters that are always hungry. Nothing more to say really just make sure your fridge is clean (it doesn't have to be too clean) and make sure there is no ice or anything like that in there; I'm sure there isn't since its dismantled. Best of luck and enjoy your Sunday!

~Sunshine Ducky

PS: if your fridge isn't dismantled I would recommend you move the feed somewhere else due to the fact that ice and the refrigerator might make the food soggy and moist which will not be pleasant for the you or the chickens!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

As long as no bugs, mice or rain can get at your feed, the fridge is a great idea......I store my feed in my garage...I go through feed too fast and my Cat lives in the garage so zero chance of mice getting into my feed....

Just keep an eye on it...

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sounds great to me. I use metal garbage cans to store feed, a fridge sounds even better.

5. bullrunslabs

bullrunslabs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I live on the Oregon Coast where EVERYTHING is wet, EVERYTHING molds, and the RATS eat EVERYTHING that isn't in a chew proof container. I use empty chest freezers, which I would assume work the same as an empty refrigerator. We store horse, cat, cow, rabbit, goat, chicken, turkey and quail feed in there. We have added a little shelf in a corner where we also keep little things like the salt and mineral blocks for the rabbits, treats, vitamins, empty egg cartons to fill and such. It works out great, everything is in one spot, dry and clean. We've been doing this for about 20 years.

We tried the empty metal garbage cans, but even those rust out on the bottom on the Oregon Coast unless you build a stand for them... It would be nicer for me to have a few separate garbage cans for the animals on the outskirts of the property, but that will be a "eventually" project.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I "borrowed " my brother in laws truck tool box. It was in my barn so now it hold my chicken feed.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by