storing feed to minimize critter nuisance

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
So what do you all do to keep unwanted critters out of your feed? I don't have anything set up yet, my peeps will arrive 9/22 but I'm already thinking. We live on top of a mountain where there are bear, and I assume a multitude of mice, rats and other rodents who would love to be fed.

The considerations I had are these, please tell me if I'm on the right track:
1. the bear might be attracted by the feed rather than the chickens and s/he is strong. So maybe I should keep the food outside of the coop in a bearproof can, so that s/he is not tempted to break into the coop and wreak more havock than is necessary?
2. we have bearproof trashcans that are basically very thick sturdy plastic. If the bear can't tear them open, would rodents be able to chew through this? Do I have two incompatible problems?

If you live in black bear country what are your experiences?

I know that squirrels, if motivated, can indeed chew through plastic cans. Since they are basically a Rat with better PR, I'd expect a rat could too. I have to store mine in metal cans because of the squirrels. Sure am glad I dont' have to worry about bears, too!

I have my feed inside metal trash cans in a leanto shed attached to my layer house. The door has house door and deadbolt lock. Bearproof cans are great. My worry would be the bear bashing my fencing structure apart. We have wild pigs/boar here too.

I use an old refridgerator to store my feed in, it's waterproof and critter proof, old chest freezers work great too.

old chest freezers work great too.

Now There is an idea I like!

big_smile.png

for lack of a better place I keep my chicken's feed in my wretched little house. Bears have tried to break in, as is evident by the paw prints on the windows and ripped screens.
I tried keeping it in a metal trash can with the lid tied down, but they took the trash can. Tried using the front loader of my tractor to hold the lid and can in place, but I crushed the can (oops).
My current solution is a storage cabinet attached to the back side of the coop. I haven't finished the project yet but I'm hopeful it will work. Bears have never tried to get into the coop, so I don't want to store it inside.
I like the old freezer idea - very clever.

Last edited:
Quote:
x2--that is what we use---just make sure the "little human yunguns can't get to it"..Works very well..No bugs, pest, or water..

Back
Top Bottom