Storing feed

Marie2020

Addict
May 12, 2020
I have to store feed outside, I've been keeping it indoors and now I'm running out of space. Which would best best, a metal or plastic bin. We are due to go into lockdown again and need to build up the feed plus with winter being on it's way I need too get a move on.

Metal.
Mice and rats can chew through plastic. Raccoons too!
You could bungee cord the top to the handles on the side so that the lid can’t be opened as easily.
Thank you. I
was about to buy plastic tomorrow but thought it best to ask the wise chicken keepers first. :)

Large metal galvanized trash cans with tight fitting lids stored on top of a pallet to keep air flowing limiting ground moisture, in shaded covered spot. The moisture is the the problem with storing food outside so I'm not sure how humid or wet it gets where you live. I live along the coast in the humid south and mine molds if I keep it outside. Walmart has these online-free shipping
Behrens High Grade Steel 1211 20 Gal Silver Galvanized Steel Trash Can with Lid

Large metal galvanized trash cans with tight fitting lids stored on top of a pallet to keep air flowing limiting ground moisture, in shaded covered spot. The moisture is the the problem with storing food outside so I'm not sure how humid or wet it gets where you live. I live along the coast in the humid south and mine molds if I keep it outside. Walmart has these online-free shipping
Behrens High Grade Steel 1211 20 Gal Silver Galvanized Steel Trash Can with Lid
Yes, these are what I have. My run is covered and has side walls for winter. My run is 240sq ft for 3 hens. I was thinking it would be easiest during winter & if I need other people to check on them (my neighbor girl wants to earn money for a drum set😃). Currently they are located in my garage. I have 1 for scratch grains/mash & 1 for pellets.

Yes, these are what I have. My run is covered and has side walls for winter. My run is 240sq ft for 3 hens. I was thinking it would be easiest during winter & if I need other people to check on them (my neighbor girl wants to earn money for a drum set😃). Currently they are located in my garage. I have 1 for scratch grains/mash & 1 for pellets.
Good deal!:thumbsup
Years ago we used to keep dog food for a outdoor dog kennel in them and they worked well but the dogs ate allot faster than chickens so moisture was not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom