Storing food

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I've been storing the food in the house by the backdoor, but that looks ugly.
smile.png
So I got rubbermaid bins with lids and put them just outside the backdoor on the porch. Is that okay or will bugs get in it? I don't live in a real buggy area, but we do have them. No critters like mice can get in there, but I worry about crawly things.

Bree

No squirrels. I wish we did. I love squirrels! I know they can be a pest, but I'm from MA and we had them all over and I even raised some.
smile.png

Bree

So no worries about bugs then? I was just concerned about bugs since squirrels aren't an issue. I have seen mice before, but not in years and I will keep an eye out for that.

Thanks.

Bree

I work for Walmart and I get the 5 gallon icing buckets from the bakery. They are available for customers as well. They charge a dollar at my store and come with a lid with rubber seal.

If you are using your feed rapidly, then you shouldn't have a problem with bugs, IMO. I have some feed in my garage in those bins. But my main bags are in galvanized cans. The rubbermaid ones are just overflow for the "next bag". I mix my own feed and so use a lot of cans and bins.

If you are taking months to use up your bags of feed, then you would need to watch for bugs and mold.

if you pour it into the barrel make sure you empty it completely so the stuff in the bottom doesn't get stale or moldy. I like the 5 gal. pail idea didn't know you could get them at walmart. if you buy them at TSC they are 2.99 and another 1.99 for the lid. something like that any how.

Back
Top Bottom