Storing quail eggs in fridge?

IceHax

Songster
Oct 10, 2018
northern Italy
Hello everyone, I'm trying to incubate my own quail eggs for the first time. I have experience hatching quail eggs, but all of the quails I hatched were always from shipped eggs. I now want to attempt incubating my own eggs, but I am unsure how I should store them. I will be storing them for around 4 days (meaning, when I put them in the bator, the first ones will be 4 days old, while the last ones will be brand new.) I was looking around on the internet for the right temperature to store them at, and I saw 2 different currents: some say 15-18 C, while other research papers say the fridge is the best option ( 8-10 C). I don't have any spots in the house that reach the first temperatures, the lowest I can go is about 23 C. What about the refrigerator though? Does anyone have any first hand experience about storing eggs in it? These research papers seem to all say hatch rates remain at around 90%.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to incubate my own quail eggs for the first time. I have experience hatching quail eggs, but all of the quails I hatched were always from shipped eggs. I now want to attempt incubating my own eggs, but I am unsure how I should store them. I will be storing them for around 4 days (meaning, when I put them in the bator, the first ones will be 4 days old, while the last ones will be brand new.) I was looking around on the internet for the right temperature to store them at, and I saw 2 different currents: some say 15-18 C, while other research papers say the fridge is the best option ( 8-10 C). I don't have any spots in the house that reach the first temperatures, the lowest I can go is about 23 C. What about the refrigerator though? Does anyone have any first hand experience about storing eggs in it? These research papers seem to all say hatch rates remain at around 90%.
I have always kept eggs at room temperature in a carton out of direct light for up to 7 days before I incubate them or put them under a broody. There was an emergency once and I needed another egg to replace one that a broody hen broke and I took it from the refrigerator. The chick hatched with very short wings. He's an adult now but his wings remain very very small and he's unable to fly down from the roost or get into high places. A friend of mine also stored her quail eggs in the refrigerator and had a few fresh ones that she incubated. The ones kept cold were born with deformities or died shortly after hatch. There could be another reasonable answer and the cold could of had nothing to do with it but that's just my experience.

I have always kept eggs at room temperature in a carton out of direct light for up to 7 days before I incubate them or put them under a broody. There was an emergency once and I needed another egg to replace one that a broody hen broke and I took it from the refrigerator. The chick hatched with very short wings. He's an adult now but his wings remain very very small and he's unable to fly down from the roost or get into high places. A friend of mine also stored her quail eggs in the refrigerator and had a few fresh ones that she incubated. The ones kept cold were born with deformities or died shortly after hatch. There could be another reasonable answer and the cold could of had nothing to do with it but that's just my experience.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I think I'll go with the 22C room then!

Thanks! I'm curious to see how many are actually fertile cause the roosters seem to prefer only the golden couloured hens, it's kinda weird ahah
My quail hens would only prefer my tibetan they didn't care for the Texas A&Ms I had. I also have an orange rooster that only likes black hens for some reason. I guess everyone has their preferences.

I use a mini fridge it stays at 10c

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_220715.jpg
    IMG_20230712_220715.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom