Storms and chick safety

MissouriChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Jefferson City, MO
We've had a couple of days of severe weather around here and since my chicks are ranging freely during the day, they have inevitably been caught in the rain. My question is this, if they have access to their coop via their little chicken door but they are outside, huddling under their coop with little to no intention of going inside, do I need to worry? I, myself, got drenched going back and forth from my house to the coop, trying to shoo them all in when we got 2 inches of rain in like 30 minutes. Although the ground was pretty wet, there was no standing water under there and they could stay dry as long as they stayed toward the middle of the coop. Should I worry about them? Are they smart enough to go inside if they are too wet/cold? They're smart enough to go in every night on their own so should I assume that if they are not choosing to go in during the storm, they're okay?
I really freaked yesterday when the tornado sirens were going off and they were just hanging out watching the rain.

I don't think I would worry about it, if they can get into the coop and don't want to then that is their choice. As they get older they will hopefully figure it out.

Chances are that your coop wouldn't do much for the chooks in a tornado, anyway
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom