Stormy is hurt...

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
My girl, Stormy, injured herself while cantering (with me on) through a field I have walked many many times. I felt her canter get strange and jumped off. Me and my overemotional self did not handle things well. Luckily my riding buddy, Jackie, was there and called home to let them know. I meanwhile had my hands on her leg trying to stop the bleeding. I literally couldn't see my own skin because of the blood. All the time I was loudly saying "It's broken. She's dead. Oh my god she's dead!" Upon removing the blood and checking her over, she had just overreached with a back leg and cut her heel. I overreacted big time. I put her back in the field and she ran around like nothing happened. That's why I always take Jackie. Never know what I'll do. Last time she just stopped halfway over the jump and I was sitting on the ground crying thinking we were gonna have to cut the tree in half (it was pretty big).

Anyway, I've rode this mare since I was two and we have been together through it all and had a taste of eachother's blood every once in a while and I'm glad she's ok. She is so danger prone.

I can't wait until we get the barn and arena finished so I can start working on getting her to lose some weight and keeping her legs clean in a nice, comfy stall so I can put boots on her to protect her legs without the mud rubbing and making her uncomfortable.

Thank's for listening

I know what you mean. You just want to bubble wrap them and not let them do anything.

My mare is a 9 yr old OTTB and honestly has a good head but she doesn't always think things through. I love her to death but she is always coming up with cuts and whatnot.

Like last night her and another mare completly ripped off the gate to their field luckily neither one got hurt.

You just love 'em so much you couldn't even bare the thought of them injuring themselves.

I know. I seriously wonder watching cross country and pro jumping how those horses dont snap on every landing. My mare can't even run without hurting herself.

Our three yr old paint Left Eye Joe is accident prone like this. He is barely started, but manages to hurt himself just hanging around the pasture. He has rubbed his hair off of his neck and cut the side of his face trying to get grass from the other side of the fence this week. We ran a hot wire to keep him off of it. He has scars on both back legs from getting tangled in two seperate sections of fence in two different incidences. This same pasture has housed horses for years and years with no accidents. We've made it as safe as possible at this point, but he still manages to find a way to hurt himself. I've comtemplated selling him, but he has such great personality I can't bring myself to do it.

Did you read my post about my weekend ride at whitmire a couple of weeks ago Storm? Talk about jumping, boy it was fun! Your horse straddling the down tree made me think of some of obstacles we crossed.

I have an 4yr old Quater horse and walker and he is the most clusit u ever seen he will trp over his own hoofs yesterday I let him out to graze and he just went walking and fell to his chest and got back up and starting prasceing like noting happen

sounds like you to wrapp your mares front legs when your riding.to keep injuries like that from happening.hope her leg heals up ok.you cant stop or keep her from stepping on her self like that.

I hear you! I'm glad it all turned out OK.
It's easy to overreact with a horse injury - they are so powerful and yet so fragile at the same time.

I so understand! My See No Spots is a walking disaster. He is retired in my back yard, and still manages to have weird, scary things happen to him. My vets are great, but I seem to see too much of them! Meanwhile his shetland pony pasture buddy is indestructable.

Despite the pain and fear and worry, how empty would life be without of animal family!

All I can say is something my Dad told me.

"You can put a good for nothing horse in a pasture full of junk and they will never get hurt, but put a GOOD horse in a padded stall & it will find a way to get hurt!"

All my "GOOD" horses have acquired scars of some sort.
Just this morning, DH had to go cut his stud colt out of the fence. He is laced with cuts on his hind legs, some of them are pretty deep.
A hunter/jumper he will never be!

I see my days filled with lots of wet clothes from water therapy for awhile!

Jean

Back
Top Bottom