Straight Run Bantams

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
Has anyone ever ordered a straight run of bantams (Or really anything) from Meyer's Hatchery? What was the hen to rooster ratio? If i get them, i dont want to have to pay 5 more dollars per chick for hens but if its worth doing that, thats fine.

It's not just Meyers, most hatcheries are not going to try to sex bantams. They are so small they cannot do it efficiently. It would take too much time when they have to sex tens of thousands of full-sized fowl (which are easier) in a short amount of time. For the ones that do try to sex them they charge extra for the extra work they go through.

Straight run odds are just that, odds. In my first order, not from Meyer's but that doesn't matter, I had one order of seven straight run that were seven pullets. I was hoping for a couple of boys. The odds of getting seven pullets out of seven were 128 to 1 but I still got them. That means, if the odds held, one person out of 128 orders of seven chicks got seven boys and are convinced that the hatcheries only send boys out with straight run orders.

I decided after that experience if the sex mattered I was going to order what sex I wanted. That will not give you an ironclad guarantee that all will be girls, vent sexing isn't that accurate, but it greatly increases your odds.

It's not just Meyers, most hatcheries are not going to try to sex bantams. They are so small they cannot do it efficiently. It would take too much time when they have to sex tens of thousands of full-sized fowl (which are easier) in a short amount of time. For the ones that do try to sex them they charge extra for the extra work they go through.

Straight run odds are just that, odds. In my first order, not from Meyer's but that doesn't matter, I had one order of seven straight run that were seven pullets. I was hoping for a couple of boys. The odds of getting seven pullets out of seven were 128 to 1 but I still got them. That means, if the odds held, one person out of 128 orders of seven chicks got seven boys and are convinced that the hatcheries only send boys out with straight run orders.

I decided after that experience if the sex mattered I was going to order what sex I wanted. That will not give you an ironclad guarantee that all will be girls, vent sexing isn't that accurate, but it greatly increases your odds.
I dont necessarily what i get out of it as im just using them as pets and not breeding. All roosters would be a bit chaotic though. I'll just see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom