Straight run chances

daviechik

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Plantation Acres
Is straight run more than likely to assume "male"? Im wanting to place an order for embden geese but don't want to really wait till March. The hatcheries ive found before that show straight run only.. my understanding is embden gender are pretty apparent at birth?

Embden gosling can be sexed at birth, but thats no guarantee you won’t get more ganders than geese. When they say straight run. Call an question the hatchery your looking at hopefully they would try to even it out so you wouldn’t end up with mostly ganders. I have an Embden gander. Love him to bits but I don’t think I’d want more than one.

The gender being apparent at birth will increase the chance of it being ‘about’ 50/50. But, for everything else, it hold the chance of being more male.

hear me out: at hatcheries (especially for chickens) people can buy pullets, cockerels, or straight run. The hatcheries eggs will hatch 50/50. Then their pullets will be bought out. Leaving MANY more males. They don’t want to be stuck with these males. They will obviously put more males into the straight run box. It doesn’t make business since any other way. Especially with expensive birds.

anyone have other thoughts?

I agree with you, however this particular hatchery does not offer sexed goslings "anymore" only straight run, i called and inquired that if i paid a bit more would they be willing to sex and they insisted no... 🤷‍♀️

I got my last geese theywere production African browns I was able to get 2 females in the past they only sold geese in pairs or straight run. Oh I forgot to say what hatchery it was Metza farms. I did not want any more males.

I got a 'straight run' on one delivery of my Shetlands, I ended up with 3 males and 1 female, went with pairs or paid extra after that. But I did get 2 female Brown Africans, when I bought 2 male buffs and 2 straight run... I think Dave was being nice...

20200130_195408.jpg

Back
Top Bottom