Strange “egg” in nest?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
Twice in the past week, I’ve found shelless eggs (the membrane is there, so they look like beige water balloons) in the nest boxes.

Tonight, I found an “egg balloon” and this odd bit. Is it an eggless shell? I cut it open, and both ends have some albumen and what looked like chalazes.
3AB9A10D-B728-4DA6-A9F2-736737B18BAA.jpeg
3AB9A10D-B728-4DA6-A9F2-736737B18BAA.jpeg

The last egg my 4 year old hen laid, which was in September, was like that. I don’t know why.
i ont know what to say really. I hope someone who is experienced can tell you. By tomorrow you'll hopefully have other replies. Do your hens look okay and not sick?

You responded to my post, but I’m not the OP. I wrote my post to let OP know i had the same situation. For me, I’m guessing it’s because my hen is older, and started to molt after that.

I did cut the little sacs open, but they kind of collapsed on themselves and I couldn’t get a picture of their insides. They were like deflated balloons with a little mucous-like stuff I took to be albumen and little white stringy bits that looked like chalaza.

The girls just started laying in late August. I don’t feed them treats, just Flockraiser and a calcium supplement.

Twice in the past week, I’ve found shelless eggs (the membrane is there, so they look like beige water balloons) in the nest boxes.

Tonight, I found an “egg balloon” and this odd bit. Is it an eggless shell? I cut it open, and both ends have some albumen and what looked like chalazes.View attachment 2426719View attachment 2426719
Cute profile picture, teacup chicks, brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom