strange appendage on pullet's neck

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
I have what I was told are two Black Australorp x Buff Orpington mix pullets. Today I found a weird appendage with little feathers growing out of it on one pullet's neck. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I will. is it normal for their breed cross?

the person I got them from owned Black Australorps hens, a Buff Orpington rooster, a Barred Rock hen, several BB Red Old English Bantams and some guineas. The only ones in their separate areas were the broody hens with chicks. These pullets were the only ones this color in a batch of black chicks with their black Orpington mother.

The one on the left has the appendage. The one on her right has a lot of red on her neck.. could that one be a boy instead of a girl? Pictures will be added asap.

Last edited:
Here are some close-up pictures of them. One with the appendage, and the other that could be a boy???

So, what's up with this one? Have you ever seen this on a chicken before? What is it?

Look at all the red on this one's neck. Is it a female close to laying? is that much red normal for Orpington/Australorp mix? or is something else mixed in? There are no pointed hackles and no saddle feathers. I'm only asking because I've never seen a chicken (male or female) with red on the neck.

Thank you all for answering.
smile.png
I'm glad they are completely normal, healthy pullets.

Back
Top Bottom