strange appendage on pullet's neck

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken5555, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have what I was told are two Black Australorp x Buff Orpington mix pullets. Today I found a weird appendage with little feathers growing out of it on one pullet's neck. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I will. is it normal for their breed cross?

the person I got them from owned Black Australorps hens, a Buff Orpington rooster, a Barred Rock hen, several BB Red Old English Bantams and some guineas. The only ones in their separate areas were the broody hens with chicks. These pullets were the only ones this color in a batch of black chicks with their black Orpington mother.

The one on the left has the appendage. The one on her right has a lot of red on her neck.. could that one be a boy instead of a girl? Pictures will be added asap.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    They look normal from what I can see.

3. Chicken5555

Here are some close-up pictures of them. One with the appendage, and the other that could be a boy???

So, what's up with this one? Have you ever seen this on a chicken before? What is it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at all the red on this one's neck. Is it a female close to laying? is that much red normal for Orpington/Australorp mix? or is something else mixed in? There are no pointed hackles and no saddle feathers. I'm only asking because I've never seen a chicken (male or female) with red on the neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Just an abnormal growth of skin. Nothing to worry about. Both look to be pullets.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

7. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    A blood red face like that would be normal and indeed healthy for a mature Austrolorp. Best wishes.

8. Chicken5555

Thank you all for answering. [​IMG] I'm glad they are completely normal, healthy pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by