Strange behavior in my birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pookiethebear, Oct 29, 2008.

1. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Is this normal and why would they do this??

I have 10 chickens, 1 roo, 9 hens. Roo (Rosco) is a RIR, as are 3 hens, 2 are EE, 2 White Leghorns, 2 Black links. Hubby seen one of the red hens picking the feathers out of Roscos hackle, and eating it. He let this continue until she apparently pulled a tight one and then he just stood up and towered over her and gave her that look and she flattened out on the ground in submission.

Is this just a grooming preening thing they do to each other like monkeys??? He is not showing any signs of baldness, and he is still the ruler of the roost.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My hens have pecked our roo's neck almost bald in the front and he lets them until he has had enough. None of them seem to mind at all.

3. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    mine pick at each other - usually they seem to be playing - but they are also at the age to estab their pecking order

4. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe feather picking can be a sign of not enough protein? The hen is eating the feather... not spitting it out.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are picking feathers and eating them they are showing some signs of lack of protein. Give them some meat scraps or a small handful of kitty kibble and see if it stops. Sometimes picking is just picking but it can be a sign of other serious problems and needs. Most chicken feeds are made void of meat proteins. Chickens are omnivors and they need meat proteins to be nutritionally complete.

6. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    I don't have kittly kibble but I do have high protein dog kibble. I will have hubby give them some today.

Thanks.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My roo lets hi two pullets preen him sometimes. They don't pull feathers though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by