Strange behavior. Should I be worried?

connie001

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Superior WI
Help please... First time chicken owner. I just received six 16-17 week old pullets a week ago Friday. They have just started to lay. I have been getting about 3 eggs a day. I do not believe all of them have started to lay yet. One of the hens kind of lays on her side making noises and scratching. She is not in a nesting box, though they are available. One or two of the other hens take quite an interested in her behavior and peck at her. Is there something wrong with her, or is she doing this because she is getting ready to start laying and just doesn't quite know what's going on yet? At other times she seems just fine. I am just worried about her and not sure if this is normal behavior. Any idea?
hmm.png

Sounds like she wants a dust bath. Does she have an area where she can take one? If not, try offering a cat litter box with a mix of sand, wood ashes, and DE. The others are interested because they think she's taking the "best" bath spot!

I agree it is most likely dust bathing but have just one little bit of input....

I would check for mites just to be safe, this could explain the others pecking on her and the low egg production

This site has a lot of useful information on how to detect and treat for poultry parasites.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Timothy in KY

Back
Top Bottom