Strange behavior

Jenthehen127

Chirping
Mar 16, 2020
Western Pa
Hi all! We have one hen ( 7 mo) who occasionally seems to almost have a seizure. The whole event last about 2 maybe 3 seconds. She squaks and Jerks and sits. Then she is ok.My husband said when he first saw her do this she flopped on her side. That time may have lasted a bit longer...5 seconds maybe. It happens once a day, for about the last 5 days. She is eating, drinking, preening, and otherwise acting fine. Her poop is normal. I felt her crop, and her abdomen and checked her vent. All seem normal. Her comb and wattles are not pale, breathing fine. Anyone ever have this? Any ideas?

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Does she seem to lose consciousness while she has these epidsodes? It is hard to know what is going on without seeing an episode, but seizures can be common in chickens. It wouldn’t be something I would treat except to try some vitamin E 400 IU daily. That sometimes can help with neurological disorders. If you could capture an episode on a short video, and could post it on YouTube with a link posted here, that would be good.

Jenthehen127

Chirping
Mar 16, 2020
Western Pa
I
Does she seem to lose consciousness while she has these epidsodes? It is hard to know what is going on without seeing an episode, but seizures can be common in chickens. It wouldn’t be something I would treat except to try some vitamin E 400 IU daily. That sometimes can help with neurological disorders. If you could capture an episode on a short video, and could post it on YouTube with a link posted here, that would be good.
I can try. Its super hard since there is no way of knowing when it might happen and then its so fast.

Jenthehen127

Chirping
Mar 16, 2020
Western Pa
But no. No LOC that I have seen.

Top Bottom