Strange behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kristania1, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Kristania1

Kristania1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    I have a EE chicken who's 6 1/2 months old. We call her "Crazy chawk" because she's always been a little nutty and acted much more flighty than our other 8 hens (her "real" name is Velvet).

All of our chickens are very close - they do everything together and get very upset if they get seperated. They free range from morning until dusk on two acres and then they go into the coop and get locked up at night. Today Crazy chawk kept staying behind when the little flock would go places. She stayed under the coop for an hour or so, and then when the chickens moved again she went under a tree and just pecked around for a while. Later in the afternoon she rejoined the chickens, but normally if one of the chickens is separated they really panic. Crazy chawk seemed totally unconcerned.

She looks healthy (as far as I can tell - these are my first chickens) and was eating. She wasn't limping, and wasn't missing any feathers. Besides staying separate from the other chickens most of the day, she acted completely normal and calm (well normal for Crazy chawk). I spend an hour or so with my chickens every day, so I'm pretty familiar with their patterns and routines.

Could anyone shed any light into why she might be acting this way? I thought it might have something to do with her preparing for laying an egg. None of my chickens have laid yet. Is this normal behavior, or should I be worried that she's sick? I genuinely like my Crazy chawk and just want to make sure she's okay.

I'll post a few pictures taken last week. She looks pretty much the same this week - so if anyone notices anything unusual, let me know!

Thanks!

Velvet in the sun digging in the compost pile.

[​IMG]

Velvet taking a nap.

[​IMG]

Velvet in the shade.

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd guess she's getting ready to lay... one of my wheaten Ameraucanas was acting that way last week and she laid her first egg on Sunday and then her second one today. Beautiful blue with a touch of green.

3. Kristania1

Kristania1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    That would be wonderful news. I'd be thrilled that she's okay, and even happier that she's about to lay!

4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    She is lovely. Looks like she might be a Gold lace wyandotte cross with green egg layer. Hope you get your first egg soon.[​IMG]

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    She may do this for several days before she finally lays. If she seems to be checking out laying spots, that's the tell-tale sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by