Strange Behavior

grassoviso

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Has anyone ever heard of this?

I have a brown leghorn 5 months old who is normally very skittish. Today I saw her with her wings up (almost like she was too hot) and frozen in place. She was just standing there like a statue. While I was petting her I realized that she never lets me even get close to her. The temp outside was only about 70 F, so I doubt she was overheated. Within 30 seconds she put her wings down, shook off some dust and was back to normal.

I'm wondering if this could have been a seizure? If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

You're sure it wasn't "crouching" behavior? Hens do that when they submit to a rooster for mating. Some start doing it for their owners when they reach egg-laying age, and are about to begin laying eggs.

It sounds a lot like "squatting" to me as well. When I reach down to pet my birds, they often "squat" with their wings spread slightly. When I remove my hand, they fluff themselves up and move on. They first begin acting like this usually a couple of weeks before they lay their first egg.

Back
Top Bottom