Strange behaviour

Sapphire22

Songster
Apr 15, 2018
Somerset UK
have a flock of 6 rescue hens, since the day I bought them home they have gone into their coup. But recently 4 of the girls have started sitting on a perch in their enclosure and I am having to manually put them to bed.
The coup is clean and a large size.
So I was wondering if anyone could tell me why they would be doing this?
20190714_190616-jpg.1867139

Lots of possibilities. Maybe the coop needs treated for mites, maybe it's too hot in there, maybe a predator has been trying to get into the coop and they feel safer in their new spot?

They're just doing what birds do. Birdie things. Most will usually try to sleep as high off the ground as they can get to. But if the weather is warm and they get hot in that little tiny doll house, they may prefer to sleep under it on a perch where the temps are cooler.
After looking at the pic again, it looks like a right sized house for just 6 birds, but the windows look like they don't open. Even in the Artic ventilation important. Without ventilation, heat and moisture build up and can cause overheating in summer and frostbite in winter. Ventilation is very important in a small coop because otherwise the Poo Fumes and Vapors can even kill your chickens if you get a big enough build up in a small space.

They're just doing what birds do. Birdie things. Most will usually try to sleep as high off the ground as they can get to. But if the weather is warm and they get hot in that little tiny doll house, they may prefer to sleep under it on a perch where the temps are cooler.
After looking at the pic again, it looks like a right sized house for just 6 birds, but the windows look like they don't open. Even in the Artic ventilation important. Without ventilation, heat and moisture build up and can cause overheating in summer and frostbite in winter. Ventilation is very important in a small coop because otherwise the Poo Fumes and Vapors can even kill your chickens if you get a big enough build up in a small space.

Greenhouse effect

Back
Top Bottom