Strange 'Black' Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cara, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I just noticed this today on one of my 5-6 month old Black Orpingtons. Both his parents are black, and he comes from black only lines. I thought his wing was injured until I caught him and took a closer look. He has a few of these red feathers coming in on each wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sunlight he's not solid black like everybody else. He has some shiny black feathers, and some that are more of a dull brown (a lot like the patchwork effect we've been talking about). Unfortunately my husband didn't capture that too well in the pics, i'll try to get some more. The camera washed him out, but the feathers are very red.

He is most definitely purebred, his parents have been cooped together for nearly a year, and there aren't any other chickens even in the same barn. What on earth happened? Is he of any use for breeding projects, or is he dinner?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It appears there is partridge (wild type gene) in the bloodline that is still creeping up. That is actually pretty typical on black fowl with red/gold leakage in the hackle/wing bars. I would cull, but that's me. I definitely wouldn't use it to continue with a black line unless he's all you've got. If you do use him, you'll need to continue to select away from this red for quite some time. It doesn't sound like you need him though.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe partridge imo as well, not usually that way though

4. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I don't need him, i'll count myself lucky that I only have this one!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of the roos that I hatched from you also had a few red streaks on him very similar to that. He's one that I took to the last poultry auction.

6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Well crap!

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Something in the milk ain't clean. [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Cara, This is very common in black poultry of numerous breeds, including silkies, araucana, and ameraucana for example. You just need to work on it and breed away from it through good selections and you'll be fine.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes it's common so no worrying !!

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    OK, that's a relief! I haven't seen it before, but i've only had these Black Orpingtons and one Black Ameraucana. I guess that's a good thing.

The feathers look like they'd be great for fly-tying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by