Strange broody

jaywin

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi
I have a Barnevelder that went broody. I let her sit on a couple of eggs and she hatched one chick. She wasn’t great and would get off the eggs for too long some days but persisted with the broody behaviour
Today she hatched said chick and then promptly attacked it! Luckily I had another hatch her eggs today and she has adopted the line chick - phew!
Anyway the Barnevelder went back to the flock and didn’t give two hoots about her chick but after a couple of hours she is now sat in a nest box acting broody again! She is going to broody prison tomorrow but has anyone ever experienced this before? Bluming Thing!

I've had a couple of hens insist they were good mothers. I'm always leary when a new hen goes broody, as in, that aren't my sweet old ladies.
Last year I gave one a chance, because she was practically begging to be a murderer----i mean.... Mother.

Well yeah anyways she turned out to be an absolute serial killer, and I had to save her chicks. Oh I was livid. Never again.
That's her new name, "murderer". She had me fooled! Never again!

Yikes! Now you have me worried about my young broody. She has 4 eggs on day 15. She is doing a great job with the brooding though. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with her :fl

Back
Top Bottom