Strange Death After Dog Attack

3speckled3

Songster
5 Years
Jan 30, 2019
Unfortunately, we lost another hen. This time it was Eleanor, our oldest.

I was inside my house when I suddenly heard a chicken screech. I ran outside immediately to see her being pinned down by one of our dogs, which was strange. The dog is one I have had for a while now. He is 12 years old and not one day of his life has he ever bothered a chicken. It was actually very common to find them sharing his food or water. I got the dog off of her and she ran. I went to check on her and she kept running from me, which was normal for her.

I managed to pin her in a corner and pick her up. She was fighting me and seemed perfectly fine. I checked her for wounds and everthing seemed fine other than a few feathers missing on her wings. Suddenly, though, she started throwing up. It was very watery. She then had a string of drool hanging from her mouth. She perked up again for a little bit, but then started shaking. It looked a bit like a seizure, and then she just fell limp.

It seemed strange that she was fine at first and then she wasn't just a few minutes later. I looked up her symptoms and found that they are common with illnesses, but she was perfectly fine earlier. Now I'm wondering if this has something to do with being attacked or if it is an illness. I will try to rake up the yard and clean up whatever old food is out there and replace their water just in case.

Sometimes if the crop is full of food and water, and you put pressure on the crop picking them up, they can throw up crop contents and sometimes choke on it. But she may have been reacting to the dog attack, too. She might have been behaving in a strange way that caused the dog to grab her. It would be hard to know why it happened. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom