Strange duck behavior?

Apr 27, 2021
Indiana
Hi, this is my Cayuga and lately I have noticed his neck gets a little shaky sometimes. I don’t know if you can really tell from the video. It’s not all the time just sometimes. Is this normal or something to worry about? This is my first time with ducks so I’m not really sure what’s normal and not. He also jumped on one of our hens back, but his head was facing her tail? Could these strange behaviors be linked somehow? I’m not 100% on the sex because “he’s” 4 months old but no curled tail. I call him a he because everyone I asked says he sounds like a drake base off his quack. Thanks. Video of ducks shaky neck? Video of duck normally and his quack.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of young, inexperienced drakes mount a hen backwards. That should be normal. He'll figure it out.

As for the shaking, that's common too. I'm not sure if its cause is fully known. Fear, stress, aggression, excitement...something like that. I used to think it was fear because I usually saw it when I picked up a skittish duck, but now I have a four-month-old goose that is the friendliest bird on our entire property, and he starts shaking when he sees us or sees food. So it does seem like excitement. But he has some other odd coordination problems, so I don't know if it's normal in his case.

I've seen a lot of young, inexperienced drakes mount a hen backwards. That should be normal. He'll figure it out.

As for the shaking, that's common too. I'm not sure if its cause is fully known. Fear, stress, aggression, excitement...something like that. I used to think it was fear because I usually saw it when I picked up a skittish duck, but now I have a four-month-old goose that is the friendliest bird on our entire property, and he starts shaking when he sees us or sees food. So it does seem like excitement. But he has some other odd coordination problems, so I don't know if it's normal in his case.
Thank you.

Hi, this is my Cayuga and lately I have noticed his neck gets a little shaky sometimes. I don’t know if you can really tell from the video. It’s not all the time just sometimes. Is this normal or something to worry about? This is my first time with ducks so I’m not really sure what’s normal and not. He also jumped on one of our hens back, but his head was facing her tail? Could these strange behaviors be linked somehow? I’m not 100% on the sex because “he’s” 4 months old but no curled tail. I call him a he because everyone I asked says he sounds like a drake base off his quack. Thanks. Video of ducks shaky neck? Video of duck normally and his quack.
Could be a vitamin deficiency. Duck feed should have enough Niacin but you can also add brewers yeast to their feed. My Black Swedish who had shaky legs for a time. You can also buy this at Tractor Supply or your local feed store or order it online:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom