Strange duck egg!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by axlelove, Aug 15, 2016.

1. axlelove

axlelove Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    Vernalis, California
    I am not sure what's up with the egg I just found, but I can say I'm a bit concerned. My ladies have been laying regularly, and while two out of the four had been the regular layers, I've been waiting for the other two. Today I found a small clutch. ( they had been burying them in the leaves) I found an egg a bit astray from the rest. It's shell was soft as all heck. It was a little sandy feeling on the outside, and it might have had the thickness of construction paper. I dropped it and the shell sort of curled in on itself. Has anyone ever seen this?

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, soft-shelled or thin-shelled eggs can happen.

If the ducks are just starting laying, it's not uncommon for one to get released without getting the whole shell.

At the same time, some ducks need more calcium than they are getting, even if you are providing layer pellets and free choice oyster shell. In that case - it has happened with our ducks - I add about 80 to 100 mg of calcium citrate to a couple of tablespoons of thawed frozen peas and give that to the duck with the soft eggs.

Mine figure out quickly they are getting something special, and when they see me coming, they leave the flock for our little rendezvous.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by