STRANGE EGG YOLK.....Development or what?(PICS)

FunnyBunnies12

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Hello all, haven't posted in awhile just been busy and spending time with my goose Sebastian-AKA Mr. McFluffyPants that I got from OliveHill, but my 5mth old girls are beginning to lay eggs now, and I cracked one open and this is what I got. Is this a bad egg, viable egg? What happened here?? We didn't eat it, didn't dare to but it was so strange. What do you make of it? I know she just laid it, because it was out in the open, I didn't find it in a nest or hidden, it was cold.
66568_egg_yolk.jpg

It's called a rooster's foot in Germany. Kind of in reference of mating. LOL Sometimes the ovaries loose a drop of blood when the follicle bursts out. It's absolutely normal and does not always happen. It is safe to eat this egg, but it most likely is not viable for incubation. The blood drop usually goes bad and kills the egg during incubation. Many people simply toss these eggs because it doesn't look good when cooked. Large chicken egg producing facility candle all egg for sign of this. That is why you will never see an egg like that when it comes from the grocery store. I have seen plenty of those living on a farm. We actually recently cooked one like that. I broke it open into the pan with other eggs and did not try to fish it back out. I simply took a spoon and removed the colored part after scrambling all the eggs. Nothing wrong just funny looking.

Well with this being her 1st time laying, maybe 2cd because the 1st batch were smaller, bluer, an only 3, this time bigger, paler, and so far laid 2, so we shall see. One of my fawn girls. I'd do ducklings and sale them if I knew I had owners lined up, but don't want to chance it and have more then wanted/needed.

Yep, looks like a meat/blood spot. I usually pick 'em out or give the egg to the dog. The rest of the egg is ok.

It's not the bull eye, nor the fertility disk, and it is not the heart. Just something that came off the ovary when the duck ovulated, very normal.

Back
Top Bottom