Strange egg??

Cavendish Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Summit County, Ohio
(2 eggs total today again, like yesterday)

Okay, so we go out this morning around 7:15 and find an egg outside the coop on the ground. First abnormal thing noticed. All the other eggs my girls lay are always in the nest box. I go over to pick it up and it is extremely small and white. It also seems to have blood smears on it, like whichever girl laid it had a rough time. Now, my girls are leghorns and that breed normally lays white eggs. But our roo is a speckled sussex, which came from a brown egg.... hence the girls have been laying brown eggs. My guess is that this egg didn't get fertilized. Not sure why it's so small... perhaps because my girls only just started laying end of last week. But bloody streaks? Anyone have opinions on this egg? Would it be edible, or should we toss it? Any other opinions about it?

Gloria
55293_gloria_11-27-2010_3.jpg

Mable
55293_mable_11-27-2010_2.jpg

our roo Precious Boy
55293_mable_11-27-2010_2.jpg

all the eggs we've gathered to date 11/26 - 12-4 (see that white egg?)
55293_img_4579.jpg

Here's a close up of that white egg...
55293_img_4580.jpg

The first six eggs were brown and medium to large sized. The egg after the white egg was also brown. Any and all logical opinions welcome. Please. Thanks.

since they just started laying, i would guess someone got surprised by needing to lay the first egg- the first egg can have a bit of blood- a couple of mine had that happen... are they getting oyster shell also?

I find with my chickens.. my white ones lay white eggs, and my brown ones lay brown eggs... and my ones that are mixed colours tend to be easter eggers!

Last edited:
Umm, not sure about the strange eggs, but your girls aren't leghorns and the roos breed doesn't have anything to do with what color eggs the hens lay. I'm not a breed expert at all, but I'd guess white rock for the hens. Notice the red earlobes? Usually (there are a few exceptions, but I can't remember them offhand) red earlobes = brown egg layers.

Do you have pictures of all your girls? Maybe you have a mixed bag and there's a leghorn or two in there that just started laying. It's not uncommon for a pullet to get confused and lay in the yard or even while on the roost when she's first getting started. Lovely healthy looking chooks you have!

That white hen looks exactly like my white rock. What are those 2 in the picture behind her?

Oh, now I see. The brown leghorn pic is posted twice. I'd swear that white hen is a rock. She doesn't have white earlobes like leghorns are supposed to have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom