Strange eggs

Quack head

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Sparta, TN
One of my young Appleyard is starting to lay eggs in the same nest as the older one. I retrieved one egg and it broke while washing, yesterday I found an egg that the ducks stepped on by the other ducks. This morning I did find one in the nest next to larger egg, after inspection the shell was so thin is was broken, apparently when it hit the larger egg it pushed in one end.

I mix oyster shells in the feed, which they have access to all day and before they are locked up for the night they have a feast! Is this normal?

Any suggestions? I attached pics.
Eggs_2005.JPG

Eggs_2008.JPG

I wouldn't mix oyster shell into their feed just put it out in a bowl close to their feed and let them take it as needed. Sometimes when they first start laying their still working out kinks and it can be soft shell no shell thin shells. So hopefully that is what it is. You can add some Calcium citrate to their water to help if you want. Best way to offer it would be on chopped tomatoes so they get the full dose. 250 mg capsule.

I wouldn't mix oyster shell into their feed just put it out in a bowl close to their feed and let them take it as needed. Sometimes when they first start laying their still working out kinks and it can be soft shell no shell thin shells. So hopefully that is what it is. You can add some Calcium citrate to their water to help if you want. Best way to offer it would be on chopped tomatoes so they get the full dose. 250 mg capsule.
Thank You, I was going by the guidelines given by Tractor Supply.

I agree with Miss Lydia, keep the oyster shell on the side. My ducks laid lost of soft-shelled eggs the first month or so they were laying. Then it all settled down into a regular egg. They still occasionally break one and make a mess in the nest. This morning I had a tiny one - about 1/5 the size of a regular idea. What in the world?! It was so cute.

What kind of feed are you using? I use organic feed that comes with seeds that the girls love to pick out and then they leave the "fines" behind with all the vitamins and minerals. I started making a mash out of the left behind fines and they love it. Since then no more soft or shell-less eggs. They do have oyster shell available on the side but one of the girls just wasn't interested.

@Japuvian I'd love to hear how you make the mash. I was feeding my ducks the same thing and just switched to pellets a couple months ago because they never got the fines - they all ended up in a sludge at the bottom of the water dish. I was worried they weren't getting what they needed, even though their eggs were fine. (no pun intended)

I collect the fines a couple of times a week and just put it in a clean pasta sauce jar add enough water to get everything wet but not runny and I just let it sit in my kitchen. The girls like it just fine that way and after a few days it ferments a bit and they LOVE it that way as well.

Back
Top Bottom